Carnival Glory Cruise Review by letscruisegd: Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

letscruisegd

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2006
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This cruise was a graduation gift for my daughter and it was FABULOUS. We had wonderful service, good entertainment, overall good food and wonderful fellow cruisers.

We decided to spend the night prior to the cruise in Orlando since my daughter wanted to go to City Walk (at Universal). We stayed at Comfort Inn near Universal. The hotel was okay for one night but I wouldnt want to stay there any longer than that.

Embarkation: Pretty quick boarding. We got to the port around 11:30 and we were onboard by noon. We explored the ship and went to have lunch on the Lido deck.

The ship: This was my first time on a ship this size and I loved it. Ive read some not so positive things about the dEcor on the Glory but I thought the ship was really nice. I also read the ship was difficult to navigate but we didnt have any problems finding our way around. I did notice the ship rocked a little more than the other ships Ive been on. It wasnt enough rocking to make us More ill but the rocking was more noticeable. The ship was always kept clean and we never had any problems finding a clean table in the red sail restaurant.

My DD wanted an inside room so we chose a category 1A to get a location that was closer to the activities for a great price. The room was more spacious than any other room I've stayed in. Instead of the amount of space between the bathroom and the closets being the width of the door like in all of the other categories I've stayed in, there was quite a bit of open space there. We didn't have the issue we had previously with making sure no one had the closet door open before exiting the bathroom. With just one bed on the floor, the room felt much larger. Whenever I cruise the Glory again, I would probably choose the same stateroom (unless we decide on a balcony). The room was right next to the laundry room which was quite convenient when we needed to iron. Our room steward (Noel) was wonderful. He came to our room the first day and introduced himself to us. Each time he saw us he was always smiling and he identified us by name. He even left my daughter a cookie with a smiley face drawn on it in the evening. Although my daughter is 17 she looks much younger so maybe he left the cookies because he thought she was younger. That may be something they do for the kids. Regardless of the reason he left the cookies, we both thought the gesture was very sweet. Each night my daughter brought ice cream to the room to go with her cookie.

Food: Overall, the food was good. The buffet lines in the red sail were long only during the chocolate buffet. Other than that, we could always get through the line in 5 minutes or less. There was hardly any line at all at the fish & chips. The deli line wasnt long but it was kind of slow. The food in the red sail usually wasnt very good. Each time I got something from the buffet, I ended up not eating very much of it and usually got something from the grill instead. Fortunately I fixed small portions from the buffet. There were several buffet lines and maybe I just didn't get in the right one as I saw other passengers who appeared to be enjoying their meals. The breakfast was the typical breakfast foods and was as expected. My daughter had her share of pizza and ice cream. The food in the dining room was quite good with the exception of the filet mignon. It was SUPER TUFF. The lobster tail was slightly overcooked but it was okay. The chicken and shrimp dishes were really good. The prime rib was very good. The desserts were just okay. Toward the end of the cruise, everyone at our table just ordered ice cream because the other desserts werent too tasty. I cant say enough about the service in the dining room. Our head server Andrea and her assistant Sergio were WONDERFUL. They called us by name after the first introduction and they both were extremely attentive. For the life of me I dont know how they remember everyones name when they have so many people to take care of.

After the first day we ordered breakfast from room service. The first day we ordered, they came really early but after that they usually came within 5 minutes of the time we indicated on our room service card. We had late dinner seating so my daughter ordered a light snack from room service daily to tie her over until dinner.

Entertainment: The only show we didnt enjoy was the comedy show on the last night. We didnt find him funny at all. The other productions were quite good. I was shocked when the male dancers stripped in one of the shows. We really enjoyed the talent show. The guest came onboard prepared to show their talent. One girl danced and she came up in her dance costume and another guy played his guitar and sang a couple of songs. I thought each of the participants in the talent show did a great job. Marcus Anthony (Motown show) was fabulous.

Ports of call: Since we were in Nassau for such a short period of time we just did a little shopping downtown and got back on the ship. In St. Thomas we booked a tour with Sunny Liston and we had a ball. Sunny drove one of the vehicles and his wife drove the other. They made the tour quite entertaining and my daughter and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. After we completed the tour, we were taken to Sapphire beach then we were taken back to the ship. We did a little more shopping around the pier then got back on the ship. In St. Martin we just took a taxi downtown and shopped. We also spent a little time at the beach thats right there near the ship. We took the water taxi back to the ship instead of trying to find a taxi to get back.

Debarkation: We left our room around 9:00 and sat along the promenade deck. Our deck was called to leave the ship around 9:15. Fortunately the passengers didnt gather in the lobby so the line to get off the ship moved steadily. It took about 20 minutes to get off then it took us about another 10 to get our luggage.

Overall: We had A GREAT VACATION and were already looking forward to booking another. I would cruise on the Glory again in a heartbeat.

Happy Cruisin Less