Carnival Glory Cruise Review by lizaws

Cruise Date: April 2006
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean

My cruise on the Glory was quite a disappointment. It was my second cruise with Carnival. My first cruise on the Fantasy was very enjoyable. The cruise from which I just returned left me doubting if I will cruise with Carnival again.

Emabarkation was slow with very long lines. The elderly gentleman checking us in was very confused and put my sister in law and her husband in our room with us. This took several minutes to untangle. I felt pressure every minute of this cruise to purchase SOMETHING.

The only helpful people working on the boat were trying feverishly to sell a product of some sort. The pool and deck areas were a living nightmare. There were never any chairs available yet hundreds of them were empty with towels in them. There were signs clearly posted directing passengers not to save chairs but the rule was never enforced. When we complained about this situation at the front desk, we could never get a clear answer about what we should do to get a chair. There were several arguments on the deck over chairs.

I suppose, because it was Easter vacation, the ship was overrun with young children many of whom were unsupervised. They invaded every square inch of the ship. The whirlpools were always full of young children who were splashing. The band that played on the deck had to ask them several times to stop splashing because their equipment was getting wet! No parents ever stepped in to help. The pools were packed with kids as well. There was nowhere for adults to escape the kids. They ran wild up and down the hallways, elevators, lobbies and were even perched up at bars. There were several times I saw young children in the casino with adults.

The ports were quite boring and the excursion I took to the island beach break was disappointing because again, there were no chairs. Trying to leave the ship in Key West was so frustrating I actually shed some tears. Lines were miles long to get off the ship and it did not help that there were photographers blocking the exits taking pictures. There were long lines for EVERYTHING. Lines to eat, lines to get pictures taken, lines to shop, lines to get a drink, limited seating in Amber Palace. Kids slopping all over the buffets left me without much appetite. The lounges were usually empty or full of kids. My son is graduating from high school this year. We took him as a graduation present. He was bored as hell.

There were young kids roaming the ship in packs or older passengers. The teen club was full of young kids. There was nothing on the ship for him to do.

We had a very nice cabin with a balcony. It was clean and the service was good. The room service food selection was horrible and at times very slow. Every channel on the television was geared to selling some package or another for Carnival. I nearly died when I had to miss American Idol!

Shame on Carnival! Has greed gotten the better of this once wonderful cruise line?

Publication Date: 04/21/06