Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by lilbikerus

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by lilbikerus
Vision of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Member Name: lilbikerus
Cruise Date: April 2006
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: L
See More About: Vision of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Vision of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Vision of the Seas Deck Plans
Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
This is my 3rd cruise with Royal Caribbean. My husband and I went on the Vision of the Seas to celebrate my 40th Birthday, as well as our 2nd Anniversary. My very first cruise ever was with Royal Caribbean on the Voyager of the Seas, back in July 2000. Everything about that cruise experience was phenomenal. This experience led me to book a cruise last August 2005 with RCCL on the Mariner of the Seas. This sailing was to celebrate my husbands retirement from the United States Marine Corps after 20 years of service, as well as his birthday. Again, everything from A-Z was phenomenal.

Our most recent sailing on 2 April 2006 on the Vision of the Seas, was a completely different story and was disastrous for us. If this were the first cruise my husband or I had taken with Royal Caribbean, it would have been our last.

In regards to the day of sailing, I want to commend the efficiency and expediency of the staff upon checking in at the Port in Los Angeles. They were extremely organized and polite. However, after we got on board our experience went from elation to disappointment and sorrow.

Our main complaint and frustration is based off of my husband getting diagnosed with food poisoning from breakfast served by room service Within one half of an hour after eating his breakfast from room service, he began having intense stomach cramping and pain. He suffered immensely all the way thru the next day with extreme stomach pain, and several bouts of diarrhea, and dizziness. Both of these days were two of our three days of port at Cabo san Lucas and Mazatlan, Mexico. We could not participate in any excursions for these two days. I was unable to enjoy our ports of stay because of the recent warnings to not travel into the cities alone, and my husbands desire for me to be beside him when he was ill. He was so depressed at not only how bad he felt, and that it ruined us celebrating such a milestone in my life, that he forced himself to get out and try to enjoy an excursion.

Below, I will detail out the areas of complete dissatisfaction compared to the other sailings that we have had and what Royal Caribbean is known for, first class service, quality and presentation.

Windjammer Buffet-The display and selection of food choices on this ship was extremely mediocre in comparison to your other ships that I have sailed. The breakfast offered was essentially the same thing over and over again every morning, The food was often times not very well heated, which scared us to death after Kevin becoming ill. The lunchtime and dinnertime choices lacked quality and taste. Often times, during any meal time, essential food items such as gravy, cream for coffee, taco shells, French fries, were empty. Tables were not cleared in a timely fashion.

Formal Dining Room- The service we received from the dining room was quite friendly and expedient. However, our table lacked a beverage server. There was only one time where a server offered us wine or any other alcoholic beverage. Several times, we requested alcoholic beverages, and they were never served to us. In repetition, the quality of the food served during your formal dining times was mediocre at best, compared to the Voyager of the Seas and the Mariner of the Seas. One of the greatest enticements we had of sailing on your cruise line was the quality, presentation and taste of your food. The presentation of the food items was quite lovely. However, most of those eye appealing food items did not match up in taste, especially the desserts.

Restrooms- Throughout the cruise, the womens restrooms were filthy. Trash overflowed the receptacles and in the handicap restrooms, Kotex and tampons would be sticking out because of the overflowing. Several times, I had the mishap of finding there wasnt any toilet paper on the holders. This was extremely unpleasant and unsanitary.

Staff-Overall, they weren't very friendly. They almost acted like they wished they weren't on this ship, working for the public.

Entertainment- Boring. As before, the directors for the activities were friendly. However, we often times found ourselves quite bored on the days at sea. Many, many people that we met on the ship felt the same exact way. The only people we found thoroughly enjoying themselves were people who were quite intoxicated or gambling. On our prior sailings, there were numerous activities that appealed to all different ages constantly. We were never bored.

Excursions- On April 6th 2006, even though my husband was still not feeling too good, we decided to carry through with the excursion we had booked for the Riverbank Horseback Ride in Puerto Vallarta.

Purser/Excursion Desk- We would like to commend both of these departments. We felt like they listened to our concerns and handled them with the utmost of professionalism.

The ports were filthy and the water was dirty.

The food is mediocre at best on the ship.

It took forever to tender off of the ship in Cabo.

Publication Date: 04/20/06
More Vision of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Vision of the Seas review Read the next Vision of the Seas review

More Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews