Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by golferfreddie

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by golferfreddie
Carnival Triumph
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean
I am a first time cruiser and I am now hooked! We have already started planning the cruise for next March with Carnival. We traveled with a group of 40 and I wouldnt be surprised if that number doesnt grow next year.

Embarkation in Miami was painless. We arrived early and walked straight onto the ship, which gave us a chance to eat lunch and get a little familiar with the layout. Our room was ready about an hour after we boarded and our luggage arrived shortly after that.

I was impressed at the size of the stateroom. We had plenty of room for everything (even though we did not spend a large amount of time in the room). The beds were just as comfortable as all other members have described. I never sleep well away from home, but I had no troubles on this cruise.

I read many reviews prior to the cruise and several people seemed to like to complain about every little thing about this ship. I found very few of the complaints to be valid. The music at the Lido pool was never too loud, I saw no stained carpets, and I found the food to be quite good. It does take a day or two for you to understand the layout and which decks you can easily make it from one end of the ship to the other, but I imagine that is the case with any cruise ship.

We had an amazing dining experience thanks largely to our server Stefan. He helped us make the best selections for dinner every night and kept us entertained the whole time. I can only hope the service can come close to comparing on our next cruise.

The shows I had the chance to see were pretty good. We had one hilarious comedian named Happy Cole that performed twice. Most evenings consisted of hours of entertainment in the casino after dinner. I did well at the three card poker tables and ended up coming home with more cash than I started the cruise with even though I paid cash for everything we did at each port.

We decided to do our own shore excursions instead of booking through the ship.

At Cozumel we shopped at the downtown area and then took a taxi to a free beach resort named Mr. Sanchez. We found some beach chairs and drank beer for about 3 hours. We didnt even notice that the resort also had a pool, buffet line and massage tables. I think the massage tables were the only thing they were charging for, but it was cheap as well. There were a couple of shops, waverunner rentals, and snorkeling cruises.

Grand Cayman was the highlight of the trip. We got off of the ship and found guy to take our group of 18 to Stingray City and some reef snorkeling. We paid $30US per person and had the whole catamaran to ourselves. We gathered a few conch shells at stingray city and he and his helper cleaned them out and polished them up for us to take home. We ate lunch at a restaurant called Paradise. The food was pretty good, but it is very expensive. Our table of four each had a cheeseburger. Three of us had 2 beers a piece and the fourth had a bottle of water and the bill was $85US.

The last stop was Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The locals were just as bad as I have heard. We had a group of 8 that walked from the port to a couple of places down the street. There were 2 armed police that started walking in the middle of our group so we would not be harassed. We ended up spending most of our time at the Margaritaville resort. No locals allowed unless they are employees.

The days at sea were very relaxing and you can truly do as much or as little as you want on a cruise. We will be doing the Southern Caribbean cruise next year and the stops look much better than the ones from this trip.

Publication Date: 04/19/06