Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by David Lamb

Cruise Date: March 2006
Embarkation: Galveston
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

My wife and I sailed on the Conquest out of Galveston,Tx. Boarding was not too bad once they got started. The ship was HUGE. Everything was clean that we could see.

Our room steward Ling was 'THE BEST'. We would be gone for only an hour or two and he would have tidied our room up.

This was our first cruise so we really didn't know what to expect. Our room was on the tenth floor and the first night and day at sea we had six to eight foot waves -more movement than I would have expected from a ship this big but after the first day we didn't have any problems with the movement bothering us.

The buffet was good. Nightly dinners were great. Food and service were very good. The 24 hour pizzeria was fantastic as were the burgers at the Grill.

We ported at Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Did the canopy tour in Jamaica, snorkeled and swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman and just hit a private beach in Cozumel. The canopy tour was a blast as was all our ports. If you don't mind going out on your own and doing some research you can save about 35 to 50 % off of the ships excursion prices by booking yourself online. This is what we did in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Prices in Jamaica can be bartered but not in Grand Cayman. Cozumel you can barter some also but not like in Jamaica.

The shows and entertainment that we went to were good. Loved the Karaoke with Vinz. Casino was not large but we just played a little three card poker once and that was it. Staff was always friendly and helpful. At night there was always something going on. Bingo seemed like a rip off to me.

Always plenty of hot water for showers and our room was spacious as was our bathroom.

If you plan on doing much sunbathing get a chair early.

Disembarking we self-disembarked and it wasn't bad .We had to wait in line a while though. They called our deck and then 5 minutes later called all the other decks so we took the stairs down to the 4th deck and Slowly made it to the 3rd where we got off. Still they called us at 6:15 and by 7:45 we were in our car on the way home.

I would recommend this cruise to people .Cruising is not something that I would do every year but for a change and to try it I enjoyed it. The days at sea got a little long for me since I'm not big on laying out in the sun for hours at a time.

The one Big thing that they need to do is to have another entrance to their internet lounge. You Must go through the Smoker's lounge to enter the internet lounge and it was always severely smoked up. I don't have a problem with people smoking but they need to look at getting another entrance to this area of the ship.

Overall we had a great experience.

Publication Date: 04/19/06