Carnival Valor Cruise Review by toriables

Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
I took my first cruise on the Carnival Valor December 11th 2005. I traveled with a group of coworkers, all women, and we booked online through Carnivals website. Booking was no problem, and we received our documents about 4 weeks prior to sailing. We booked our airfare separately, and stayed at the Holiday Inn South Beach the night before our departure.

We arrived at the Port of Miami by taxi, and we were promptly greeted by luggage handlers. They were the only downside of this cruise. They told us that if we didnt give them a tip, we wouldnt see our luggage again. I tipped the standard dollar a bag, as did the others. Needless to say, our luggage did make it to the door, but I was turned off by the handlers. Embarkation was looonnngg, took an hour and a half, but we expected it from reading these reviews, and the lines did move fast. We had no problems establishing our sign and sail cards, and passed through security in minutes.

The Valor was impressive, with mirrors and light fixtures tastefully placed throughout. The elevators in the center atrium were lovely, we rode them up and down just to get the view of the inside of the ship! We booked an inside cabin with 2 pull down beds, and we arrived to our room to find the beds made and the bathroom clean and extra pillows. Our room steward knocked on the door and introduced himself, and we did give him ten dollars up front for a great job setting up our room. The entire week we never saw him again, but our room was spruced up at least 3 times a day.

We had the early seating in the Washington Dining Room and we loved our waitstaff. One of the girls traveling with us preferred the kiddie menu, and he brought it to her every night without reminder. I drink hot tea, and it was ready for me every evening. Dinner was wonderful every single night. I couldnt choose between several things, and our waiter brought me both! The food was hot and delicious, there were too many options. The dining room staff sang and danced with us and made us feel like we were the only table in there. We never did try Scarletts, but we heard rave reviews from our tablemates. We ate at Rosies on the Lido deck for breakfast and lunch, nothing great but not bad at all. The tables were clean and bussed within minutes, and we all found something that we could enjoy. I especially liked the desserts at lunch time, and the ice cream all the time. I got room service one morning for coffee and a bagel, and it arrived hot and fresh. My favorite food all week- the flourless chocolate cake.

We booked all of our excursions through Carnival, and we do realize we spent a little more than the people who booked independently. To me, it was worth the reassurance that the boat wouldnt leave without me. We did the Turtle Farm/Rum Factory/Seven Mile Island tour in Grand Caymans, we loved every minute. The line was long to tender, but we spent a little extra time at the beach and got back one minute before we were due in line. All in all, tendering went smoothly. We did the Tabayana Beach and Horse Riding excursion in Roatan, and we loved it. Very much worth the money. In Belize we did the cave tubing which was fun until I saw a Boa Constrictor. I paddled myself down that river as fast as my legs would tube me. The rest of our group laughed at me for that. In Costa Maya, we got off the boat, bought some tequila, and spent the rest of the day alone at the pool eating ice cream and deli sandwiches.

Overall, I have found a new love for travel, and I have already booked 2 more cruises. One on the Conquest, and on on RCI ROS for our honeymoon in November. The Valor was very well maintained, and the staff were friendly and patient. I recommend it to any young travelers looking for great memories with friends!

Publication Date: 04/15/06