Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by scotts8826

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by scotts8826
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: scotts8826
Cruise Date: March 2006
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        10-12 5.0
        13-15 3.0
        16+ 3.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Rhapsody of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Let me say up front that our experience was wonderful! I highly recommend this ship and crew.

Our traveling group was myself, my wife, my MIL and our three boys aged 17 (birthday on the ship) 13 and 11. We had three category K rooms on deck 4. A steam pipe had burst the week prior to our sailing date. They had the hallway cleaned and re-carpeted. Our rooms were off the main hallway so I dont know if the water damage affected our rooms but they were in excellent condition.

Embarkation was smooth and quick. Traffic outside the terminal seemed heavy, though. The parking attendant mentioned that one of the ships came back late so it was adding to the congestion. I didnt catch which ship it was. I dropped the group off at the terminal and headed to parking at EZ Cruise which turned out to be only a block off the main road out front of the terminal. I chose to walk back instead of waiting for the shuttle. It is a short walk but not one to do if loaded down with baggage.

After I arrived at the terminal we walked right up to an agent and within 10 minutes were heading to the ship. We walked on at 1:10 pm so we couldnt resist heading to the staterooms. They were open and ready so we dropped off our carry on luggage and headed to the Windjammer for lunch.

It was great fun sitting in the Windjammer, having lunch and looking over the pier as we anticipated our trip. I could even see my van at the EZ Cruise lot. The food at the Windjammer was good for a buffet. My boys ate there mainly for lunch and breakfast. I was pleased with the variety and quality.

With 6 in our group we ate dinner each night at our own table in the dining room. Again I thought the food was very good. The only night we did not really enjoy our menu items was the last night. The steak and the Mahi-Mahi was very average. Ill hold back on an excellent rating due to my lack of experience on other cruises but I do not have any complaints. The service was wonderful. Our waiter and his assistant were very friendly, attentive and service oriented. My youngest son requested the same waiter for our next cruise!

The pool area could get busy during a sunny day at sea but we found plenty of deck chairs in the morning. By the afternoon we were ready for shade so a nice table was fine.

I worked out in the gym three times. The cardiovascular equipment was in excellent shape. I personally use an elliptical trainer and they had about three. I found one by the window where I could people watch. The strength training equipment was limited but I was still able to get the muscles moving. I didnt want to spend all day there anyway.

The evening stage shows were fantastic. The production shows put on by the ships performance group were high energy and well choreographed. The comic Tom Parks was hilarious. The only show that was luke-warm was one by a guy named Arvon. He was the original singer of the Happy Days theme song. He came across as a bit too much like the lounge lizard type of performer. The live music provided in the Centrum was well worth stopping to listen to. It was heavy on the violin, piano and flute but it provided the elegant, relaxing atmosphere for its surroundings.

The ship had plenty of on-board activities. The Schooner Bar provided evening fun with Derek Lewis. Dancing and other games were available in the Shall We Dance room and the Viking Crown lounge.

Our 11 year old LOVED the Adventure Ocean program. He always attended the program. He even groused at me for letting him sleep in one day and thus missing his first activity scheduled at 9 am! My older two boys did not participate much. My oldest son found a friend of his from his own high school so they palled around for the week. He did enjoy sitting in the Schooner Lounge and watching the singers. My middle son did not latch on the Adventure Ocean group so he went to a few of the shows with us and divided time between his two brothers.

I booked all our shore excursions directly. Read the port of call boards and you will get many recommendations and tips. We parasailed at Key West, snorkeled and did the sting ray city adventure in Grand Cayman. Weather was cloudy and cool at Cozumel so the highlight was shopping.

Disembarkation was a breeze. Our color was yellow and it was posted on the information sheet that we would be called at 9:10 am. That gave us time to sleep in a bit and we went up to the Windjammer to have breakfast at 8:30. At 9:00 we headed back to our room and at 9:12 we were called. Some people who complain about wait time must not check their call time and sit in lounges all morning. The line off the ship was moving briskly. We found our luggage, lugged it over to the security area and were out the door. I ran over to EZ Cruise picked up our van, drove back to the terminal and loaded up the luggage and family. We were on the road home by 9:50 am.

The ship was beautiful, the crew friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip and cannot recommend this trip high enough.

Publication Date: 04/14/06