Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by leeotampa: Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean

leeotampa
Member Since 2005

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Miracle Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: March 2006
Embarkation: Tampa

This was our first cruise. This is something I have wanted to do all my life. I turned 60 last January. My husband is very tall, 64 and he always thought we would be uncomfortable in the cabins. Maybe we would have been on other lines, but not on the Carnival Miracle. I am a planner. I get a vision in my head about what the trip should be like. This was my dream trip, and my expectations were met and exceeded. This is a wonderful cruise and I highly recommend it to anyone, old or young.

Embarking

Easy 10 minute drive for us. We live in Tampa. Arrived around 11 a.m., spent the extra $10 for valet parking for the week, and with the help of a very friendly agent inside, were on the ship and having a wonderful buffet lunch on Lido deck by 12:30. Went to our room promptly at 1:30

We were on the starboard side, (and if you are going to have a full moon, this is the place to be!), with a regular balcony. The bathroom was ample for us, and there is plenty of More storage. Whatever you are packing, take about half of it back out, you dont need it. I over packed. We have favorite casual clothing, and we wore it all week, the washer and dryers were convenient and we washed shorts, t-shirts and bathing suits a couple times. Our Cabin Stewart was great. We wanted our ice chest kept iced and a few other things and tipped him going in $20, in addition to adding more tip at the end of the trip through the purser. It was money well spent!!

The Dining Experience

My favorite thing on the Miracle was dinner. Although you will read about how outrageous the dining room dEcor is, if you are downstairs, it really doesnt bother you, after you get through the first shock. All the grapes are way up high. I think you would be more unhappy if you were upstairs. We live in Tampa, and in Florida, we just dont get dressed for dinner for the most part. I loved both formal night, and casual nights. We bought a beautiful dark suit for my husband, and he looked wonderful in it. You can rent a tux on board for the trip if you want to go that route. For other nights, I pretty much wore long casual dresses and sandals to dinner, with some jewelry that doesnt get out much. I looked nice, but casual. The men tended to slacks and nice polo shirts, or short-sleeved dress shirts. The menu was wonderful. I cancelled my reservation at Nick and Noras, we didnt need to spend the extra money.

The portions in the dining room were perfect for me. They are of a healthy size unlike what you get in a restaurant, and very nicely presented. If you want more to eat, you can order more. Most people at our table had two starters and sometimes two desserts or entrees, especially if you couldnt decide. I am watching my weight and actually lost a pound on this trip. I had what we will call a heart event last May, which included having an angioplasty with a stent. I was lucky, I had a blockage but no heart attack. Took me a while but I am exercising like crazy now and watching my diet, and the miracle really accommodated me on that score. The SPA menu was wonderful. The diet desserts were very good, and I was able to eat mostly on the healthy side and throw in a few interesting items from the regular side of the menu (the cold creamed fruit soups are a MUST from the starter menu).

I never once felt deprived on this trip. I learned I can make good choices for my health, and still have a wonderful time!! Very important life lesson for the me. I have heard the desserts were nothing special on the Miracle. Accordingly to everyone at our table, they were glorious!! Carnival seems to do a good job of matching people at a table. We were a table of 3 couples, and very compatible, and it made the trip very enjoyable. We recommend if you dont have children, definitely go to the late seating. It is a much more leisurely experience, and you will get done in plenty of time for the shows. Casino

We didnt win anything, but lots of people did. We also didnt overspend. We just had some fun in there. We did the slots tournaments and blackjack tournaments, which only cost $20 to enter. I probably spent about $200 donating to the slot machines, but it was fun.

Photographs

We loved having the photo sessions. We brought home some of the best pictures ever taken of us.

We stuck with Carnival shore excursions. I will always do this. They get you off the boat first and will WAIT for you if your excursion was late (and this happened to a few people). They will NOT WAIT if you didnt purchase one of their recommended excursions. Its insurance worth having, you dont save enough to take a plane to catch your ship!!

The water was beautiful everywhere. We shopped and lunched in Grand Cayman. My husband has a knee injury and we needed that day to rest him a little.

Our favorite day was our excursion called Passion Island Adventure and Lunch in Cozumel. It takes about 45 minutes by bus to ride to the north end of the island, and then a little ferry ride, but you end up on your own private island, where lunch is ready for you. Open bar on this trip, which we dont do, but we didnt feel we were being jipped. The beach was beautiful, the water was great, and we stayed in the water most of the 3 hours we were out there. Very nice restrooms for being on a beach, room to change your clothes. The restrooms had 2 stalls in each room and the attendant will put you into your own room so you can use the facilities or change your clothes. It was a wonderful trip. We went reef fishing in Belize. It was fun. There had been a storm the week before, and the fishing wasnt great, but it was fun, and the water was beautiful. We never actually went into to Belize City itself, the fishing boat picks you up at the cruise ship. Door to Door service.

We went on a snorkeling trip in Costa Maya, the water was absolutely gorgeous here, I think the best color of all the stops. I was surprised by that, no one seems to talk about the water here. I would go to a beach next time, so I could spend more time in it.

Other Areas

I spent 30-45 minutes a day exercising in the Spa. Lots of very new machines, a beautiful adult only whirlpool, and the showers and saunas in the SPA are also available. Very impressed. It is very hot up there, take your water with you.

We didnt spend much time at the pools. We preferred the lovely water on shore. We did use the Aft pool one day, which is for adults. There was a lot going on up front at the pool decks, however.

Disembarking was not bad. Put all our luggage outside our room by midnight the night before. Had a nice leisurely breakfast (and these was the one time the dining room feel on its butt. Wait staff on the last morning was horrible. We had to ASK for a cup of coffee. Left the ship around 10:30. You have to vacate your room by 9:30 a.m.

Now about the way you get your luggage. Your luggage is dropped in a "zone" that matches your original tags in a large room. Half of our luggage was taken by someone else and then dropped in another location when they realized it wasn't there luggage. One of our bags was taken by a passenger all the way to Atlantic City, New Jersey, which caused us a very bad 24 hours. We had all our souvenirs and pictures in the bag. It should NOT have happened. How about being a good neighbor and looking at the tags on the bags you take!! Make sure you have YOUR bags. I know I will add colored ribbons to my bags next time, so this might not happen. No one checks the luggage you are taking against your tickets, and that really should be done obviously.

My best recommendation I can give the Miracle is, we are waiting for a sale to book our cruise on her for next year!! Less

Read more Carnival Miracle cruise reviews >>