Carnival Pride Cruise Review by harlekuin

Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 4E
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera
We booked our cruise online with Carnival about 1.5 years ago. We had originally booked the 4 day, but that cruise was cancelled and Carnival offered us an upgrade to 7 day for only $150 more per person. Since this was our honeymoon, we decided to go for it. We are both in our 40's and did not travel with any of our kids.

Embarkation went well. It takes time to get 2,000 people on the ship so patience was a plus. Everyone was friendly and answered all of our questions.

Our room was nice. Even though we had an interior cabin, we did not feel like we were locked inside. The closet space was plentiful. There were some hangers in the closet, but I was glad we brought some more. We had followed the advice of others and brought a power strip and an over the door shoe bag to put toiletries in. This was handy but we would have been fine without it since the shelves in the bath were adequate for the items we brought. The shower was nice. The safety feature of regulating the water temp was appreciated as were the shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. Our steward, Staney, was great. He always had the room cleaned and the beds turned down. The towel animals are really cute and we looked forward to seeing what was coming next.

The food was great, but it comes with an explanation. I had a gastric bypass in August so eating was somewhat of an issue. The biggest issue was that there were so many good things to try and I just couldn't take more than a bite. We told our waiter the first night so he wouldn't wonder whether the food was or wasn't good. After that, he brought several things, knowing I was only going to have a bite or two and I could sample many different items without feeling guilty. My new husband is a fairly picky eater and he was always happy. He felt it was a great opportunity to try all kinds of new foods. There were only a handful of items that he said he didn't really care for and it wasn't because they were bad, they were just not to his taste. All of the items were cooked to our request. We did not go to David's Supper club since we did not feel that we would really be able to fully enjoy the full menu and choices available. If I had been smart, I would have gone on my first cruise prior to surgery!!! :)

I have read previous comments that the lines are too long for the buffet. Our thoughts were this: there are 2,000 people on the cruise. What would you have the cruise lines do? Lines are going to form and you're going to have to wait. I have also seen people complain about dinner in the dining room taking 1 1/2 hours. What's your hurry? We as a society have forgotten how to relax and enjoy conversation and taking a break between courses.

We did not take any excursions offered by the ship. We had checked out Cruise Critic message boards and planned our own trips. In PV we went to the Krystal resort and sat on the beach, went swimming and had a couples massage. All for $75. In Mazatlan, we went to a hotel for a time share presentation then went on a city tour. All it cost us was the time to hang out in a nice hotel and listen to their presentation.

It was great to ride around in an open air taxi. Our driver, Edgar was great and spoke English well. He explained that he learned how to speak English from talking to his passengers. He took us wherever we wanted to go and waited at all the stops.

In Cabo, we just took the tender (which was fun) and walked around town. Did some shopping and had lunch at Margaritavilla (it was AWESOME!) Went to Cabo Wabo, had one sip of the Waborita and thought my chest was going to explode, it was so strong!!!!

Oh, the entertainment. We enjoyed the shows. They were well done and the singers and dancers were very talented. No, it was not a Broadway quality show, but dang, it was in the middle of the ocean. I didn't realize that people could make that many costume changes that quickly. We did not go to the gym or use those facilities but we won $1,000 at bingo, we won the trivia contest and won a painting at the art auction. Our marriage started out on quite the high note!

We did wish that there were a few more choices on the TV, but we understand that the ship doesn't want you in your cabin, but out having fun. However, there is something to be said for "downtime".

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We went into this whole trip with the attitude that we were going to try new things. We were going to have fun, and we did, and would do it again!!!

Publication Date: 04/10/06