Carnival Glory Cruise Review by DeckLounger: Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: March 2006
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Just got back from the Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Glory. Overall, we had a very good time. I'll try to review in the format others have used.

Embarkation: This went pretty smoothly but took a couple of hours. The ship was apparently late in getting to the port, so although we arrived at noon, we were kept waiting in our cars for an hour. Once allowed to proceed to the baggage drop, things were a bit crowded (because of the backlog). The line through security was long (1/2 hr or so), but the check-in line and line for sail-and-sign went pretty fast. Another log-jam was at the picture stop before crossing the gangway, and a final log-jam as pictures were taken for the sail-and-sign. Once aboard, our room was ready.

The Glory: A large, though rather unfriendly layout. It definitely takes a while to figure out how to get from one point to another. It was nice having our cabin on deck 6 for vertical movement, but it could sometimes be a challenge to get fwd from More aft and vice-versa. The color scheme was also a bit distracting. Too many different things going on and constant changes (even in the dining room). The lounges were all very nice though, as was our cabin. Pools were smaller than I expected, but about the same as other ships I guess. All deck chairs around the pools were saved by 8am, but you could generally find some on the upper decks until 11am. Deck 11 was nice for sunning, but windy. The gym was also very nice, with a full locker room, free weights, weight machines, treadmills and ellipticals. I'll have to agree with others who've mentioned the movement of the ship. A couple days in rough seas (10 ft waves really that 'rough'?) and the boat rocked a lot. It didn't bother me, but did bother some other guests and caused the postponement of one of the 'broadway' shows.

Dining: The food was good. Perhaps my expectations were too high (this was my third cruise), but I honestly was expecting the food to be more spectacular. Breakfast was exactly the same every day (except pancakes and french toast were alternated). Lunch was as expected. The salad bar that the buffet was very good. Fish and chips were good, but a bit too greasy. The hamburgers/hot dogs/steak sandwiches from the grill were great! The deli was also very good. I never ate at the Oriental line, so I can't comment. Pizza and ice cream were good and always available. Dinner in the dining room was good, but there's room for improvement. Nothing was bad, just less-than-spectacular. Desserts were not that good. Wait staff was great! Very professional and friendly. Room service was poor. They were very slow, put you on hold when you called, and once, failed to deliver. The chocolate buffet the last sea day was fantastic. The deck party buffet, Mexican, was awesome! The midnight buffet, a joke. It was in the Lido buffet, rather than the dining room, and except for the desserts, wasn't really edible. Even for just the picture-taking, it wasn't really worth the trouble of going to see.

Entertainment: The shows on the ship were the usual, but very good. I've seen much better comedians in the past, but they were ok. There was always something going on in the Amber Palace or the Lido deck, and the cruise director's staff did a good job. Let me just say that our cruise director, Weeee Jimmy, was outstanding. He was the funniest guy! He did a great job and always radiated energy.

Ports: Nassau is ok. Not the best place on Earth, but fun to walk around or see Atlantis. St Thomas is really nice. I'd recommend taking a tour of the island and spending some time at beach. St Martin is the BEST!!! The beaches are beautiful! Spend the day laying out at a beach (Orient's awesome!), then take a cab downtown for shopping. Liquor is much cheaper here than anywhere. Don't be tempted to buy in St Thomas. It's so much fun just walking around the shops, bargaining, and picking up a few drinks. If you're hungry, you could even run into KFC, Taco Bell, McDonalds or Burger King. There not too conspicuous, but they're there.

Overall: Overall, we had a very good experience. I love cruising, and I love Carnival. Now, if I could find a 14-day cruise that just circled St Martin, I'd be the happiest guy on Earth!! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>