Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by mvago: Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean

mvago
Member Since 2004

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: February 2006

Okay, here goes! Ready everyone....? I believe in always getting the good news first - I'm an optimist. Also, always plan for the worst so if it doesn't happen I'm that much more ahead of the game--

BUT... (I will start by mentioning some unfortunate info we learned as we flew in a day early though) - We chose the Days Inn Civic Center in Miami Beach due to the free shuttle service to and from the airport and port of Miami...Boy did we find out fast we made a mistake!!! DO NOT STAY HERE....DO NOT STAY HERE...DO NOT STAY HERE! - The place is a hole; filthy, managed poorly, staff is rude and cannot speak english well PLUS they are thieves. The restaurant attached is leased out - called The Silver Spool Cafe - also employs incompetent staff who can't speak English and who, we know, stole over $2500 in camera equipment, with 20 minutes of being at the place. We were instructed at the front desk at this hotel that the storage unit was full and to place our luggage inside the More restaurant 5 steps from the front desk and it'll be safe there - in fact, the dirty rotten scum bag inside the restaurant told us it would be safe too - can you tell I'm bitter? - Anyway, long story short, we made a police report, which the police officer asked us "why are you staying here?" and suggested we pack up and move out ASAP - so we did so...requested a refund which we're still fighting today - as we didn't even stay in the room and moved to the Marriott Biscayne Bay - a touch of class for sure - makes the Days Inn look like a scum hole! Anyway...Onward to better news -

Embarkation went really smoothly. The ship is gorgeous, spacious and we, of course were really excited to board by noon on Sunday - day of departure. You may have read news headlines about people getting sick on the ship - based on new releases from a rep from RCCL - HA...this is a joke - 250 passengers and 19 crew...MORE LIKE #1,500 passengers and many more crew than 19 for sure. It's unfortunate, because RCCL didn't handle the outbreak soon enough and it spread throughout the whole ship staring by the second day of the cruise - YIKES...but we had a great time overall - despite my wife hurling on the sacred Mayan Ruins and me getting cursed by being attacked by bees...hehe (don't wear suntan lotion when going into the jungle - FYI)

We booked our own excursions...Belize - Cave Tubing - really fun, Costa Maya, Mayan Ruins and Cozumel - (they're rebuilding) - we rented a jeep and toured the island and bar hopped - really great. Then at the Cayman Islands we chilled at Sea Grape beach and rented jet skis....We're about 10 shades darker and I do recommend the cruise despite all the people getting sick.

The issue won't go away anytime soon - people are fighting for recognition of this fact...

Happy Sailing - feel free to write and ask questions - mvago@mn.rr.com Less