Crystal Symphony Cruise Review by bobcaswell: Crystal Symphony

Compare Prices on Crystal Symphony Cruises

Crystal Symphony

Sail Date: February 2006
Destination: Other

Although this was only my 3rd Crystal Cruise, I'm already starting to run into people I've met on previous cruises. I'm sure this is because of the high percentage of repeaters on Crystal Cruises and the fact that they only have two ships.

Everything about the Symphony continues to be first class, which undoubtedly explains the high number of repeaters, many with tens of cruises and at least one with over 100 voyages.

Embarkation: Crystal had booked my air from Boston to Miami via Cleveland, which seems a little strange, but I suspect this was a result of availability of blocks of tickets plus the fact that flights were heavily booked due to the start of the winter school break in much of the northeast. Despite a close connection in Cleveland, both my luggage and I made it and arrived in Miami on schedule, where we were met by Crystal representatives in the baggage claim area. We were quickly transferred to the port and after Crystals normal efficient check-in More procedures, I was enjoying lunch in the Lido less than an hour after re-claiming my baggage at the airport.

Dining Room: Probably because of our scheduled 8:00 p.m. sailing, the first night was open seating. For the rest of the cruise I was seated at a table for eight, as requested, hosted by Casino Manager Michael Ferrell. Table mates included a single English gentleman, a lady from New York, a Canadian lady toxicologist, an American couple from Wisconsin and an English couple from Kent. All in all, a dynamic and interesting group. Of the eight of us, only the American couple and I were leaving the ship in Manaus, Brazil  the rest were continuing on to Buenos Aires and beyond.

Onboard Activities: As on my two previous cruises, I participated in the dance classes on sea days and also took several private lessons. The dance team/instructors for this cruise were Cheryl Smith and Paul Zaidman, from Australia. This was my first experience with them, having been with the other regular team of Tony and Margaret Long on the previous cruises. Cheryl and Paul are lots of fun and excellent teachers  I sort of challenged Cheryl to teach me a basic Tango during the cruise, which she did!

Entertainment: Although I had seen the productions at least once before, I enjoyed them again. The cast is new since my last cruise, and excellent. It appears that some of the shows have been re-costumed, which gives them a fresh look. I particularly enjoyed performances of numbers from Evita, Fiddler on The Roof, Cabaret and Puccinis Madama Butterfly. The current lead female vocalist, Colleen Williamson, is outstanding. The only problem I have is that Crystal runs the productions for years. I know this is a result of high production costs but I would hope to see at least a few new productions introduced at some point. The most notable headline entertainer, in my opinion, was pianist Nake Ataman who gave two great concerts, with music ranging from the Beetles to Offenbach! Im pleased to see that He is also scheduled for my next Crystal cruise.

Lectures: A good mix, from Smithsonian Theme Lecturer Dr. Mary Hagedorn to Coach Don Shula. As a died-in-the-wool football fan, (old enough to remember Coach Shulas coaching years very well) I particularly enjoyed his presentation and Q&A session. Itinerary: My principal reason for selecting this cruise was the trip up the Amazon. This is an amazing experience  I knew it was a big river, but couldnt even visualize how big it really is  miles wide at some points hundreds of miles up from the mouth. Before reaching the Amazon we had several days at sea and calls at Antigua (not my favorite island) Barbados, which is my favorite, and Devils Island where I got too lazy to go ashore  probably should have.

We did have one unfortunate incident when a passenger had to be air evacuated for what the captain described as a life-threatening medical condition. We altered course for a while to rendezvous with a US Coast Guard helicopter from Puerto Rico. The transfer went like clockwork, and we later learned that the passenger was doing fine after emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix.

About the only glitch on the river was at our first Amazon port, Alter do Chao. We arrived late due to strong currents, the previous days med-evac, and the 4 or 5 hours it took the Brazilians to clear the ship, a reminder that I was, indeed, back in the third world. Added to this was a problem with gangways between the ship and the river boats being used for the River & Village Discovery Cruise, which many of us had booked. As a result, the excursion was cut short and Crystal refunded all of our money. We didnt have to ask for it! The cruise included an overnight stay in Manaus, and quite a few of us attended a concert at the famous Opera House there. It was billed as a jazz concert, but actually was Latin theme. This was fine, except that the music was amplified to the point where it was almost painful  I commented that if you had a factory floor that noisy OSHA would shut you down! The musicians varied from first rate to acceptable, but I was in a very small minority who didnt find the whole performance wonderful. An interesting experience, nevertheless, to be attending a performance in an ornate theater in the middle of the Amazon jungle. Conclusion: Crystal Symphony continues to be second to none. This was a particularly interesting itinerary  one doesnt have many opportunities to cruise the Amazon in the comfort of a luxury ship. Im looking forward to my next Crystal cruise, the Big Band crossing from Miami to Lisbon the end of April, a repeat of my first Crystal cruise a year ago. Less

Read more Crystal Symphony cruise reviews >>