Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Cruiser

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SO
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
My husband and I just came back from a 4 night cruise to Nassau, CocoCay and Key West on the Majesty of the seas. Since I searched high and low on these message boards for reviews prior to our trip and got some great ideas and recommendations, I thought Id give my two cents also J

Getting there & embarkation: We arrived in Miami from NY Monday morning at 10:30&.by 11:30 I had a drink in hand and was laying on the deck. Yep, it was that easy. We jumped in a cab (standard $24 rate) and in fifteen minutes were at the dock. I had read by other reviewers that getting on the ship early is a toss up but once we arrived at the port we were led inside, checked in and stood on line MAYBE five minutes before they opened the boat up to receive passengers. It was extremely efficient and very quick. RECOMMEND: Get there early, you NEVER know!

The Boat: Weve taken another cruise on Carnival Inspiration. Both offered your standard cheesy dEcor. The Majesty we however found to be a little small and older. Trust me, it was in NO way horrible, just a little small (but perfect for the shorter cruise). There were your standard rooms.. i.e. disco, bars, library, food courts etc. We spent many a night at the casino. It was nice; we played and lost a lot that week. The bar areas were also ok. We met a great waiter in the Viking Crown bar. This is a great little bar, which overlooks the pool, is air-conditioned and during the day is not busy. Also, they made FABULOUS coconut mojitos! There were two pools on the main outer level. They were OK. We never actually went in. The pool area seemed to be the gathering places for all the families aboard. Oh, it was school break for many children and although I did see quite a few families, it never seemed like they were the majority. It was a nice balance of guests. RECOMMEND: the mojitos of course and the upper pool deck.

The Food: Breakfast: Ah, your run of the mill breakfast fare. Stick with the omelet station. Oh and the coffee&.HORRIBLE!!! It was so bad that when we arrived in Key West and I saw a Dunkin Donuts I literally RAN to it! Lunch: We were never on the boat long to do this. Snack: YUMMY. The Majesty offers a pizza station and a what they call light fare during the hours of 3-5. It was perfect to tide us over until dinner and had a nice selection. Dinner: We chose second seating (8:30) which we like since its less kids and allows for more time at ports where applicable. The food was actually quite good at dinner. I had everything from herb crusted cod to filet mignon to lamb to mahi mahi. The portions are great and your offered a nice little appetizer, entrEe and dessert&.you WONT leave hungry. Oh, fyi, if you see something else you want to try on the menu ORDER IT! Theyll bring you one of each thing if you want! My hubbie and I often shared a third entrEe just to sample it.

The Room: We had room 9544 on obviously, floor 9. It was listed as an SO room with a larger window. For what is was, it was honestly ok. It was small but not in any way uncomfortable. It had just what you needed for the time you spent in it.

The Excursions: First let me say that I LOVE the sun & love to lay out & love to do NOTHING other then read a book and lounge in a chair. My husband is the complete opposite! We got SO lucky with the weather. It was sunny and high 70s/low 80s all week long which according to the ship staff was a little uncommon for that time of year.

Nassau  Due to a lapse of intelligence on our parts (we thought ah, who needs sunscreen as we lay out for all of an hour and a half as we sat docked in Miami the first day), we couldnt truly capitalize on our entire Nassau excursion. We booked the Discover Atlantis/ Beach Break through our ship since we figured we could see the hotel, get access to the aquarium AND lay out. Well as it turned out, the beach was closed off to the public that day due to dangerous conditions. They ended up still giving us lounge chairs on the beach but told us we could only swim in the lagoon area (a very nice smaller man made beach). We decided to forego the beach and sun that day due to our getting extra crispy the day before. We spent the day instead seeing the hotel, the aquarium and the shops, which was nice but honestly not worth the excursion fee of $76. Even had we been able to use the beach we didnt feel it was worth the money. We had tablemates who simply went to the beach near the Atlantis and had a nice time for A LOT less money. If you just HAVE to see the Atlantis then shell out the cash since doing so does allow you into areas of the hotel not just any person off the street could get into.

CocoCay: By far our most FAVORITE stop. We were lucky to be able to tender and get to the island since we read and heard that many times due to rough waters, they dont even dock there. But we made it and my hubbie and I took the first boat out (8:30). The island is a simply a rocky piece of land RC bought and literally turned into an island. They imported the sand and the trees! We had read that there are many different areas to lounge around the island, the furthermost ones being the most quiet. We walked the island later and did notice that it was less crowed as you walked out. However, since my husband wanted to snorkel all day and I wanted easy access to the bathrooms and bars, we decided to plop ourselves down right at the main beach. There are a billion chairs so youll never not find one. Note: you can ONLY snorkel off this main beach, which is the main reason we stayed there. I spent the next six hours laying in the sun (SPF 75 mind you) while my husband snorkeled. He absolutely LOVED it. This is a man who has dived and snorkeled in MANY areas and he still very impressed by the snorkeling. He saw cuttlefish, eagle rays, moray eels, tangs, angelfish, anemones, corals and lots of other things! Lunch was served buffet style on the beach. It was your typical burgers, hot dogs and BBQ fare but surprisingly very tasty. We have to give kudos to RC for so efficiently handling all the people when it came time for lunch! After lunch I browsed the few little shop huts (overpriced) and at 3:00 we took the second to last boat back to the ship. We kept saying that we wished we had two days in CocoCay.

Key West: I kept reading in other reviews how Key West was bad because you had to wait for all the passengers to go through customs before anyone could leave the ship. Something must have changed because this is no longer the case. We lined up as soon as soon as we were allowed to and within twenty minutes had gone through customs, back to our room to drop off the passports and were off the ship by 10:00 (we docked at 9:30). We had an hour before our trolley ride (11:00 w/ the Conch Trolley) so we walked around town for a little until we decided to see if we could get on an earlier tour which we were able to (10:30). The tour cost us $52 (total) for the trolley but honestly it was the best money we spent. The tour was an hour and a half long and took you all over Key West with some very informative notes along the way. It gave you a chance to see every part of Key West. After the trolley we had lunch at some Oyster house at the Marina (Ok, nothing special), a drink an conch fritters at Sloppy Joes and key lime pie at a little shack on Duval Street&.we forgot the name of it but it was by far the BEST key lime pie wed ever eaten. We spent the next three hours walking up and down Duval street looking at shops and taking in the sun (it was HOT!!!!) Finally at 3:00 we called it a day and went back on board. We had tablemates who rented scooters and loved it and also some that went kayaking and loved it too. Key West is a beautiful little town with so many great homes. We loved it!

Debarkation: Sadly our cruise came to an end. We got up at 6:30 Friday morning and by 7:30 were off the boat. RC does a very good job of getting people on and off easily. NOTE: Our flight wasnt until 1:30 which meant we spent six hours at the airport. If you can, get and earlier flight&youll even make a 10:00! Overall though, GREAT trip, we loved it!

Publication Date: 03/30/06