Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Bunny Ritchie

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
This was our 1st cruise and it definitely will not be our last.

Embarkation - Was quick and easy. The lines moved and we were in our rooms before 1:30. I had previously heard horror stories about this part of the cruise and found that it was anything but.

The ship is elegant and we felt pampered the entire cruise. Our steward was the best and did everything to take care of all our questions and concerns. While we usually have problems sleeping in strange beds, we found that the bedding was comfortable and we slept like babies, that is when we finally made it to the room.

We had 8:00 sitting for dinner and found the Washington Dining room to be very delightful and the food was great. Our waiter (Jorge) was great and if and when we cruise again we will look for him.

The Fish & Chips had the best food, the only disappointing thing was that it was not open usually when we went there.

The Coffee Shop had the best shakes I have ever had and my husband really enjoyed the coffee. The desserts were to die for. We made a point of purchasing desserts and taking them to the room.

The room service was to die for and my husband had a hard time adjusting to not having it once we got home. They always arrived at our predetermined time and the food was always good. It was great to have coffee in bed and not have to leave the room to get it. That is usually my job and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Excursions -- Grand Cayman - We went on khaki's and snorkeling - we found that trip to be most challenging since we had never ever been in a khaki before. The guide was very knowledgeable and was a delight. The water was a little rough, but we would definitely do this again.

Roatan Island - My husband went zip lining thru the jungle and even though it rained the whole trip down the mountain, he enjoyed it. There appeared to be some problem with him stopping at certain platforms and his shirt told the tale. He had some bumps and bruises but would do it again if he had the opportunity. Of course I had to pay $33 to go to the beach to met up with that group and it rained the whole time there. We did enjoy the outside bar and music, and met some really nice people that were also on our ship. I only wish I had gotten Rosie and Russell's mailing address so we could keep in touch.

Belize - Because of rain the cave tubing had been cancelled and we were extremely disappointed, but took a private tour of the area and really enjoyed getting to see their way of living. We as American's have a lot to be thankful for and take the smallest things for granted.

Costa Maya, Mexico - Was like something out of a storybook, the water was the prettiest color of blue and I was in total amazement. I took lots of pictures of this area and would love to go back for a longer visit. We went out on a Catamaran and snorkeled, I tried the snorkeling but the water was a little cool, so I decided to remain on the boat and sun. My husband did go snorkeling and took some great pictures with the new underwater camera that I purchased.

We spent a lot of time in the casino and I finally learned how to play CRAPS - very fast pace and decided that the slots were more my style. We did go to the late night shows and found the comedians really fun and entertaining. Went to the disco one night and really enjoyed the music and being able to dance some of that food off.

While making your way around the ship could sometimes be a little confusing, we always found someone that could provide good directions to the area we were seeking out.

We made some great friends while on board the ship and we continue to keep in contact with Jen, John, Wayne, Cindy, Mary (she and I are going to take a trip to Vegas, since we are both big gamblers) and of course her delightful husband Lamar. In fact I have already talked to Mary since getting home. I am sure that we will all remain good friends and will meet up again soon.

I can not wait to book another cruise and while I want to experience other ships, I know that we will be on the Valor again soon.

Publication Date: 03/28/06