Carnival Glory Cruise Review by azgirl2004

Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean
My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean, departing on 2/4/06. We have cruised once before, on Royal Caribbeans Vision of the Seas, to the Mexican Riviera.

We chose to try Carnival instead of Royal Caribbean because were in our mid-20s, we were cruising by ourselves, and we figured that Carnival draws a younger, more fun-loving crowd. Well, I dont know if the date of our cruise had anything to do with it, but when we got to embarkation and looked around at the hundreds of people, all of which seemed to be at least as old as our grandparents, we discovered that Carnival draws just as many old folks as the other lines.

Also, let me make a quick note about the weather  it was not very good. We chose the time to cruise because we were under the impression that it was the Caribbeans driest season. Unfortunately, we saw rain every day, and at several points our ship was literally facing near gale-force winds and yes, the Glory rocks a lot - the people who said it in earlier posts werent exaggerating.

On night we even had to stop to assist a small ship in distress, per the Coast Guards orders. The captain announced later that as a result we saved 8 lives, and even made it to St. Thomas on time the next morning.

Embarkation went as smoothly as it could I suppose  though it did seem like we stood in about 4 different lines before we got on the ship. They moved fast however, and I think we were on-board in an hour. No complaints here. We completed our FunPasses online beforehand and I am not sure if that helped or not -- it certainly didnt hurt.

By were able to go straight to our room, which was an interior cabin, on Deck 10, near the front of the ship. We met our room steward, who was very nice, and though we gave her $20 on the first day as an additional tip, I am not sure that it got us anything extra. We had issues with the drain in the shower  it was not draining very well, but one call to Housekeeping and someone came and fixed it  we had no trouble after that. The room was spacious enough, there was plenty of storage space and the bathroom was clean. To save room in my luggage I chose to not bring a hair dryer and to use the one provided in the cabin  ladies, if you care about your hair I suggest bringing your own& the ones they provide look to be about 20 years old and literally smoke when you turn them on. Yikes. The amenities they provide in your bathroom though were pretty nice.

The ships layout isnt too hard to get the hang of but one thing you have to watch out for is that not all the decks go all the way around the ship& sometimes you have to go down and then go back up to get where you need to go. There is also a dining room in the middle of the ship which I can understand is confusing  just bring your ship map with you and youll be all right.

We went to the Red Sail buffet after settling in  the lines were pretty crazy. We must have had a full ship because it seemed like at every point during the cruise there was a line at the buffet. In my opinion they could have left it open for longer to allow people more time, but there are also plenty of other food stations around where you can eat that have longer hours so I guess Carnival figures you can make do with those. I loved the sushi  had it every day and couldnt get enough of it. The deli, fish and chips, pizzeria and hamburger stand were also really good.

We did use the gym a fair bit and I was really impressed with the quality of the equipment. They had everything I needed to do my normal workout  and there was a hot tub, sauna, steam room, big showers, etc& it was great.

We dined at the 8:00 seating in the Platinum dining room (one of two dining rooms), and one of the things Carnival did well was to match us with great table mates. The other couples at our table were great  at first we were a little nervous about sitting next to complete strangers and when we boarded we almost switched to a two-person table  I am really glad we didnt. The food was pretty good, though the portions were at times laughably small. I know how this sounds, but seriously, we are in shape and arent pigs, some portions were just SMALL. We quickly learned that it was OK to order two starters or two entrees and took advantage where appropriate. The wait staff was fantastic  we had everything we could have asked for and then some. We had brought our own wine onboard the ship in our luggage and by giving our head waiter $20 on the first night, never had to worry about corking fees. The only real complaint that I have about dinner was the show that the wait staff would put on in the middle  always right when we got our entree. The lights would go dim and they would all start singing and dancing& it always seemed to interrupt a good conversation and a good dinner.

We didnt go to many of the shows but the few that we did go to were pretty good. Remember, youre not in Vegas, youre on a cruise ship, but we were pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the shows. The other activities on the ship were also good  there is always something going on and I swear at any hour of the day you could play bingo somewhere onboard.

We purchased a pretty sizable amount of drinks during the cruise using our Sail and Sign account. This worked great, however, BE CAREFUL, the waiters sometimes get numbers confused and charges that you didnt charge can end up on your account. That happened to us twice; fortunately I monitored our charges using our cabin TV and was able to dispute them. It took a few days but the charges were eventually dropped& something to definitely look out for. We also purchased one soda card and since they dont check the name on the card were able to use it interchangeably. It was nice to have  cost only $45, sodas are approx. $2.00/drink though so if you dont think youll drink more than 3 sodas/day then its not for you.

Shore Excursions: Nassau  we did our own thing here& which was good because it was very windy and chilly that day. We did some shopping and then took a cab to Paradise Island and found a public beach that was beautiful. Wed love to go back to the Bahamas on our own someday.

St. Thomas: we did the BOB Underwater Adventure. It was a blast& we snorkeled for about an hour before we got to take our turn on the scooters. Saw a bunch of coral and fish and had a great time. The dive company was fantastic  wed definitely recommend this tour. And our pictures are priceless. The island itself was very pretty. St. Maarten  by far our favorite stop. We did the Discover Scuba excursion, which didnt start until the afternoon, leaving us time to explore the island on our own before. What a fantastic place  the water was gorgeous and the town was vibrant& exactly what youd picture when you picture a Caribbean country. The scuba diving was also a blast  the dive company was great, good equipment, etc. We had such a great time that I think were going to try to go back and get certified. The only bad thing was that I apparently jumped into some jellyfish larvae or coral larvae; I have red welts all over my arms. Ive found out since that this is referred to as a seabathers eruption& watch out! It doesnt hurt but you look like a leper. After 8 days my arms still have them  I hope by next week theyll be gone.

Overall, we had a great time. The weather wasnt the best but that is not Carnivals fault. Drinks werent too terribly expensive, there was always room in the hot tubs, the pools were nice, my husband lived at the 24 hour pizzeria, our room was clean, we met some great people, and even won some money at the casino (ok $5 but still). I dont know if well cruise Carnival again the next time we go  but for the money, we had a great vacation. Have fun on yours!

Publication Date: 03/24/06