Carnival Glory Cruise Review by gcotton157

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory Cruise from January 28  February 4, 2006

This was a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise, with stops in Key West, Belize, and Costa Maya. My wife and I were first time cruisers.

Embarkation/Debarkation was a breeze. We arrived at Port Canaveral from our Orlando hotel at approximately 12:30 PM, using Arts Shuttle to transport us. (We also used Arts post-cruise to take us back to Orlando - $85.00 each way). We dropped our carry on bags in our stateroom and were on the Lido deck drinking our first beer by 1:15 PM. Check in was smooth, and the lines moved steadily. Likewise, debarkation was as smooth as can be expected considering they were unloading 3,000 people as quickly as possible  with about half of them doing self debarkation and trying to haul several large bags behind them. We placed our bags outside our stateroom the night before, and they were waiting for us when we cleared Customs. Customs was a breeze. It is more difficult clearing security at the airport than it is clearing customs. Embarkation/Debarkation gets an A.

All-in-all, the cruise was OK. The entertainment in the Amber Palace (the show theater) was better than I expected, with one exception. I was especially impressed with the Glory Dancers, and the two lead vocals, Ed Chen and Cassandra Swales. I give the entertainment a B+.

We didnt participate in any of the shipboard activities or contests, but did enjoy watching a couple that were held on the Lido deck while we were out sunning. Carnival does a good job keeping you busy if you so wish. I give the activities a B

We were in a Balcony Cabin on the Lido deck. I thought our cabin was outstanding - lots of room, plenty of drawer and closet space, and a bigger bathroom than I expected. We used our balcony extensively and found it a great place to get some peace and quiet while still being able to enjoy the sun and warmth. The room was cleaned every morning; and picked-up in the evening (and the bed turned down) while we were at dinner. These were the only times our steward made up our room. Ive read in other reviews that cabins were picked up every time they left the room. This wasnt the case for us  but there were door hangers in the room you could use to request that the room be made up. We didnt use them, so I cant say how effective they were. The stateroom accommodations also get an A.

I was under impressed by the food. We only ate in the formal dining room twice - our first night on board, and at the first formal dinner. The first night I ordered a Cajun type dish consisting of pasta with Louisiana crawfish. It had three or four small pieces of fish (literally, maybe a bite and half worth) and a big plate of pasta. All luke warm. My wife ordered steak, along with three others at our table. My wife likes her meat cooked well done, one of the others ordered hers medium, and her husband ordered his medium rare. All were cooked well done, to the point of dryness. The baked potato my wife ordered was not fully cooked. And again, all were served luke warm. On formal night, I ordered the lobster tail and my wife the prime rib (well done). The lobster was ok, but only just warm. The prime rib was served medium well and was more fat than meat (and, lets say it together now, everything was served luke warm: soups, main dishes, vegetables, potatoes, etc)). Main dining room service was impeccable, which was the only saving grace. Service gets an A, food gets a F.

We found luke warm food to be a theme in the Red Sail restaurant as well. This is the casual alternative dining venue on Glory, and it features buffet style of dining. Although the variety was good, the food was just warm. For the most part, it was tasty so that helped over come the lack of heat (a little anyway). I give food in the Red Sail a C because I didnt expect it to be of the quality of the main dining room and it was on a par with most buffet style restaurants, if not a bit better.

The Grill (primarily Hot Dogs and Burgers), the pizzeria, and fish and chips stand were all good  with the fish and chips place very good. The only complaint is the grill hours were inconsistent, and on two occasions the man behind the counter (of the grill) was not aware that a steak sandwich was an option and on another visit that grilled salmon was option. After arguing with me, then checking and discovering I was right, I was told it would be 20 minutes. The steak sandwich was about 15 minutes  Im still waiting for the salmon. I give all three of these places an overall grade of C+, with the Fish and Chips place bringing up the score of the other two. Finally, I want to say what really brought the overall score for this cruise down a couple of notches was the attention to details  or better yet, the lack thereof. Things that when you think about them, really shouldnt happen. Examples of this include:

After clearing the table on the Lido deck or Red Sail restaurant when someone is done eating, wipe it off with a damp cloth! I cant tell you how many times I saw the room attendants clear a table of dishes, only to leave spills of water, food, crumbs etc.. I never saw a dining room attendant wipe down a table during meal time. I t was only done at the end of the night when a section was secured for cleaning.

Unavailability of coffee in the morning. Actually, having to locate coffee in the morning. One morning, several of us had to wait for coffee to be made because the one station which had coffee ready had been drained. We are talking 7:00 AM here folks! I usually had to go to at least 2 stations before I found one with coffee that was ready. After the third day, I just would walk half way through the Red Sail to one of the stations in the middle of the restaurant where I was almost sure there would be coffee in at least one of the stations. " Having table attendants to provide beverage refills in the Red Sail restaurant during all meals. This is probably nit picky, but at breakfast they have a server who will refill your juice or water at your table. This is the only time this service is offered (that I saw). It is something that is done in restaurants (even buffets!) all over the world.

Minor issues/repairs are not accomplished quickly (if at all). Shortly after returning to our room after the sail away party we discovered the partition between our balcony and the balcony next to us was not locked shut. We told our room steward and he said he would attend to it. The wind must have been blowing strongly that first night because we could hear the balcony partition banging back and forth all night long, along with the sound of a strong wind blowing through a not quite sealed door. The next morning I discovered the slide lock on our balcony door was bent, which didnt allow it slide in to the locked position (which apparently also serves to completely seal the door. As were leaving for breakfast the next morning, our steward was in the hall and I mentioned that the balcony partition was still unlocked then asked him to come into the room so I could show him the broken slide lock. He said both would be taken care of by the end of the day. The balcony partition was locked when we returned to the ship from our day in Key West. Still waiting for the latch to be repaired.

Anyway, these incidents and others of a similar nature, little things in and of themselves, but when taken as whole really detracted from the experience I was hoping to have. Maybe my expectations were too high. Whatever the case, our next vacation of this nature will be to an all inclusive resort. If and when we cruise again, it will most likely be for a shorter period (4 days as opposed to 7) on a different line. I give the cruise as a whole a C. Average  luke warm (like the food).

Publication Date: 03/15/06