Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by lachner: Jewel of the Seas - Western Caribbean

lachner
Member Since 2003

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Jewel of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2006

My husband and I, 40s, on our 5th cruise and my parents, 60s, on their 4th. Embarkation was a breeze. We were on board eating lunch 20 minutes after arriving at the pier.

We are economical travellers and prefer an inside cabin as we spend little time there. We choose a lower deck and as close to mid ship as we can get to reduce motion. The rooms were a good size and met our needs. The shower doors were wonderful, no sticking shower curtains. We had an issue with noise the first night and were moved to an inside cabin on the 8th deck, 8001. The noise apparently was due to the close proximity of the incinerator. I was a little concerned that hubby would find the motion difficult but he was fine.

This was the nicest ship I had travelled on. The public areas were beautiful. The passenger flow was done well. You never felt like there was 1000 people on the boat.

The Solarium was beautiful and peaceful. There was some difficulty finding chairs around the main More pool or immediately above it but you could always find something.

Dining was very good. Our waitstaff were attentive and polite. Not a lot of chatter but fine. The food met my needs. There was a lot of variety and it tasted great. The Windjammer buffet was very good for lunch and breakfast with a lot of variety.

Entertainment was overall well done. However, I preferred the Broadway type shows on NCL to these. Personal preference. The pianist and juggler were entertaining as was the late night Comedy.

We are not real joiners so didn't have much to do with the activity staff but they were always full of energy and friendly. The Cruise Director was quite funny.

This was our first time in the Western Caribbean. The state of Cozumel was sad but we did enjoy ourselves on a beach that the Fury took us to. The snorkeling was very disappointing as there was essentially no reef. I had booked this excursion thinking we would see a reef further from shore that may not have been as damaged. They took us right by the shore. The spying of a spotted Eagle Ray(I think) made the trip worth it for me. The staff on the Fury were great fun and the music wonderful on the way back.

We enjoyed our other stops but generally felt that we preferred the Eastern or Southern itinerary. There seemed to be more non beach options.

This was our first time with RCL and we would not hesitate to go with them again. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>