Carnival Victory Cruise Review by ScottJames

Carnival Victory
Member Name: ScottJames
Cruise Date: January 2006
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Victory - Eastern Mediterranean
This was my first Cruise ever so I have nothing to compare it to. Me and my friend are in our mid 30's. Embarkation took about an hour. Not as long as I thought it would. The staff helping to get you on the boat were very nice considering they have 3000 people dying to get aboard.

Our room had a balcony and it was great. I would suggest to anyone to get a room with the balcony. It is extremely relaxing and cool.

The pools were pretty small. I thought they might have been bigger. If you plan on getting a chair on the deck in a prime spot, make sure u get up early. We usually had ours by 8:30 and within a half hour, they were mostly filled up.

The Entertainment on the deck was good. They played nice calypso music starting at 10:00am and a pretty good Reggae band starts at 12. About 1:30 they would do some fun stuff like the hairy chest contest, survivor, etc...The guys running it, Felipe ( don't call me flipper ) and Mark with a K were very funny and entertaining.

Waiters and waitresses constantly come around for drink orders. Sometimes, it borders on annoying but it was ok. One word of caution, drink are VERY expensive! The bar tab add's up quickly over the week.

Our Ports where San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We did not do any excursions. We decided to be adventurous and do our own thing. If you would like to know more about the Islands, please feel free to email me but I will tell you this, If you are shopping for alcohol, cigarettes and jewelry, do it all on St. Maarten! St. Thomas was MUCH more expensive for these items.

The entertainment on the boat gave you many choices. From a nightclub (where the DJ wasn't really a DJ. They should really hire a real Dj ), to a Karaoke club, to a piano bar, etc... Many choices for you're own tastes. The casino was bigger than expected and it wasn't hard to find a table to play on even when it was very crowded. The limits where usually 5-10. Saw one high limit table.

The Caribbean Lounge where the shows were held were beautiful. The shows, again, were better than what i had expected. The midnight comedians where hilarious. They also have bingo and shows going on in here all day long.

On to the food. I understand food is very hard to review. Everyone's taste's are different. But personally, being a foodie, I was very impressed. We were in the Atlantic dining room and had a late sit down (8:30)I have dined at some of the best restaurants in the country, and tell you again, i was pleasantly surprised. The choices were great. Something for everyone. And for a cruise that serves 3000 people a day, it was above par. Big shout out to our waiter Humberto. I understand it is there job to be nice, but this guy was as real as real gets. He was a huge bonus to our trip and again, I would like to thank him. The Room service food was better than most hotels. The buffet was decent. As good as any buffet's you might find. The BBQ was very good along with the Deli. The 24 hour pizza was, well, living in NYC, any pizza not from here is exactly that, not NY pizza.

Disembarkation was my only complaint. We were told at 9:00 we MUST leave our room (and not in a nice way). We had to wait for about an hour before they called our floor to leave. Finding you're bags among the sea of bags is a drag.

Overall, the trip was great. I am all ready to book my next one. If you are a senior citizen, i would not suggest Carnival to you. There were a good amount on our cruise, some who were so nice and just liked to have a good time, and some who thought they were back in a senior citizen home, complaining about almost everything, cutting lines, etc.. Any in depth questions, again, please feel free to email

Publication Date: 03/03/06