Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Astros fan

Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean
Carnival Conquest, Jan 8-15 06 Who we are: Three longtime friends all about 30 years old. We are a very laid back group who is just as happy to do nothing as to be on the go all of the time. This is my third cruise, second on Carnival. We cruised on the Elation last year. We had a wonderful trip this year, but I think I prefer the smaller ships. More on this later. Sunday Parking/Embarkation We drove in from north Houston on Sunday morning. We had pre-booked with EZ Cruise Parking ($45 for the week). They were easy to find, we arrived around 11:15 and were immediately put on a bus with our luggage. As we were talking one of the ladies, asked if I was Astros Fan. Then we both started laughing, it was someone from our roll call. That was a nice way to start our cruise. We arrived at the terminal just a few minutes later and walked right into the security line. They had already started loading. So, we just got in line and walked slowly until we were on board. I would guess no more than 45 minutes start to finish. We only had a few people who felt like there time was more important than ours. We were on vacation, so it didnt bother us.

Our Room We were on the Panorama Deck in room 1032. It was like the other inside rooms we have been in. The movement up there is pretty drastic. I liked being close to things, but probably will try to stay lower next time. We went right up to our room, my carry on was heavy and I wanted to drop it outside of our room. But, to our surprise, the room was already ready. Our room stewardess was very friendly. We did have a couple of issues, the one that really was not taken care of to our satisfaction was the fact that we did not receive Capers on a couple of occasions. However, if that is your biggest problem&.what a great trip. When we discovered (late) that we did not have them we went to the pursers desk and they couldnt help either. Apparently, they dont get them until the day of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, after dropping off our stuff we wandered down to the Lido deck for our first meal of the week. Pizza of course. We had a couple of drinks of the day, and just relaxed and watched the world outside. It seemed like as soon as we set sail the seas became very rough. They really didnt calm down until the next day. We went to the welcome aboard show and really enjoyed it. The ventriloquist was very funny. We made plans to see his late night show later in the week, but never made it. Then we went to dinner (in the Renoir). We had wonderful tablemates and really enjoyed dinner and their company. Our wait staff worked really hard, but things seemed to be slow all week. I think they may have been stretched too thin. They had great personalities and were a lot of fun. We ate dinner in the dining room every night. We really enjoyed the food as well as our tablemates. I did notice a large percent of people wearing jeans in the dining room. Again, it was vacation, so did it bother us&no way!!! After dinner we went down and watched/listened to some karaoke. Any one who went to Karaoke will understand this&it was excellante.

First day at sea/second day at sea Our fist and second days at sea looked and felt very much alike. We spent a lot of time just relaxing and enjoying being aboard. We got a nice somewhat early start to the day and hit the gym, that way we wouldnt feel guilty for just sitting around the rest of the day. Next stop the steam room. Then we made our way down to the breakfast buffet. Yes, it is pretty much the same all week, but we always found things we liked. After that we went our on deck for a little while to try to catch some sun and read a little. The day was overcast, so no sun for us. We met up with our new roll call friends and really enjoyed getting to know everyone. It was nice to finally put a face with some of the names. We went to see the newlywed/not so newlywed game and enjoyed it. Then we went down for some lunch and ice cream. We finally made our way out on to deck 3. What a wonderful place to take a nap and listen to the ocean. The seas were a little rough, but it made for a great nap. We were the only ones our there for the longest time. After our nap and time to read we did some exploring around the ship. We found all of the places we thought we might like to visit. On Tuesday we again hit the gym and this time the sauna. We didnt feel like trekking down to breakfast, so room service it was. We went with the nontraditional breakfast, chicken wraps and pb and j. It was all wonderful. We really liked the fact that there was an early show for the late seating people, as we are not night owls. We enjoyed the shows that we saw.

Jamaica I have read all kinds of reviews about Jamaica, and decided to go with a private tour. It was a wonderful choice. We booked the Mayfield Falls tour directly through Trevor Hudlin. He picked us up right inside of the cruise terminal and took us (11 people, 9 from our roll call) to Mayfield Falls. Along the way he sang, gave history, answered questions, taught us a song and visited with us. He also stopped and bought bananas for our entire group. He was very personable and gave a wonderful tour. Several times he stopped and would pick a plant to show us or point out the different things we were seeing. Some of the roads to Mayfield Falls are quite scary (curvy and narrow), but I always felt safe. Once we arrived at the falls he walked us down to the main entrance and made sure everything was as we wanted it. The falls themselves were beautiful. It was a fairly easy climb and our group laughed and joke the whole way. The three people in my party agree, this was probably one of the best things we have done. As soon as we came out of the falls Trevor was right there waiting for us and walked us back to the van. On the way back down out of the mountains, he stopped and bought us some sugar cane to try. This is just one of the many things that puts Trevor at the very top of my list of tours. We then drove through town and had lunch at the Pork Pit. The food here was very good, you can get a good sized meal for between $5-10. Our last stop was at a hotel/resort overlooking the city.

Grand Cayman We took Captain Marvins half-day trip with snorkeling and stingrays. It was a wonderful trip. The crew was very professional, and helpful. I have done some snorkeling in Belize and didnt feel like we saw as many fish in GC, but it was still a nice snorkel. Swimming with, feeding, and touching the stingrays was an amazing experience. The tour would probably been worth the cost just for that. I loved the tour, the only issue I had was that it felt rushed. We cruised out to the snorkel stop at a pretty good clip. We got what seemed like 15 minutes as each snorkel spot and then a little longer with the rays. We were rushed back on the boat and then took a slow ride back in and spent quite a bit of time going around looking at homes. As I said, it was a wonderful trip, but I would have preferred less time on the boat and more time in the water. We were back in time to do a little shopping and still catch the tender.

Cozumel We took a cab to Paradise Beach. We did not get in a rush to get off of the ship, so I figured we would have a hard time finding chairs. However, when we arrived, there were only a handful of people there. We found 3 chairs and an umbrella just off of the water. Our waiter was right there to offer drinks and food. We went out and snorkeled, its not great, but I did go out beyond the toys and found quite a few fish and one sea anemone. Then we had a round of drinks (nice and strong) and an order of chips and guacamole (which was very good). We then took a cab back to town and did some shopping. We did talk to some friends who all paid a different amount to get there. We paid $13, they paid $14 and $15. When we got ready to go back we were told it would be $15, I must have had a questioning look, because he asked how much we had paid to get there, then he agreed to that price.

Last sea day- Very rough seas. We spent lots of time trying not to be sick. We tried to sit on deck and the wind was really whipping. We eventually made it to what could be called the lukewarm tubs. We met up with our roll call group one last time for a nice visit. Even with the rough seas we enjoyed the day at sea and soaked up the last bit of relaxation.

Kudos for Carnival To us, our room was rather warm. We were told by our tablemates to call down and they would fix it. So, we called down and they sent someone up within 15 minutes. He worked on it and left. We never really felt it cool off, so the next night we called back down and explained that we had called before, but didnt really feel any change. They said they didnt have someone to send right then, but that they would send up a fan. Within about 15 minutes we had a box fan. We were perfectly satisfied with this solution and almost forgot that someone would be coming up to look at the ac. Within about ½ an hour there was another knock on our door. The man looked at it and said it was set as low as it would go. We were okay with that since we had the fan. The next morning we noticed something in our mail box. Carnival had sent 6 free drink coupons to us for the trouble. Carnival really stepped up even with this small issue.

Overall We had a wonderful trip, no real complaints. Was everything perfect? no, but I didnt expect it to be. I could not point to a single thing that I didnt really like. So, I guess it comes down to the overall feel. I like the feel of a smaller ship a little better. Does that mean I wouldnt cruise on a large ship again? Absolutely not! Just point me in the direction of the nearest ship.

Publication Date: 02/22/06