Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by alex: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean

alex
Member Since 2000

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: December 2005
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Just came back from 2 weeks Caribbean cruise from New York. Overall I liked it and would go again. We did not have any problems being in Britannia category. We met people from both Grills at the pool, in the Spa, in the Kings court, in theaters, etc. It was just the same as on all other ships: some travel in luxury, some more modestly. Why there is so much talk about "classes" on QM2 is beyond me. But I do not think I got my money worth.

My inside cabin on Penthouse floor was $6,000 for two with lots of additional charges being way too much more then on other ships. Especially, at the Spa. Just to use sauna and steam room we had to pay $30 p/p - p/d. They give discount when using 3 or 5 days, but it has to be consecutively. It may work on crossings, but when you are visiting islands for 2 weeks, yet have 5 full days at see, it would be nice if they adjust their policy and apply the discount to those days. When I asked for it the Spa manager, she would not hear of it. More

The so-called Shore and Shopping expert never had an answer about shore, only shopping. When I asked which beach she would recommend, her answer was I do not know. I do not go to the beach. I guess there is no commission to Cunard when their guests visit beaches.

Staff was friendly and accommodating. Everywhere we saw smiles, but everywhere it looked like there is not enough staff.

Food in Britannia and Kings court was good. There was enough staff cleaning after customers at Kings court, but very few to assist with trays and serve drinks and coffee/tea. Britannia is a separate story. Our waiter and assistant waiter were taking care of 5 (?!) tables totaling 22 people: 6+6+4+4+2. They were very good, professional, nice and accommodating. But is was physically impossible for them to provide necessary service to all 22, no matter how fast they were running (yes, running) between our tables. Same goes for the wine/liquor waiters  one waiter serving wine, cocktails, hard liquor and mineral water. They were covering big sections of the dining room and were always hurrying from table to table. There was no time to stop and offer wine or drinks. We had to ask and wait. Since most of the time we only required mineral water  we were not a priority. Dinner lasted always at least 2.5 hours. Only because we really liked our waiters we decided not to complain.

Our inside cabin on 10th floor was very small, definitely under 150 sq. ft. It was comfy and well appointed. I liked the linens. The bathroom was larger then on other ships. Taking the shower was an experience by itself: the water temperature was changing every 20 seconds; those little bottles with toiletries were extremely hard to squeeze. I had to ask my husband each time I needed to use them, and I have pretty strong hands. I noticed that my cabin was not vacuumed for several days. I had to call and ask for it (?!). There was no towel sculptures on my bed. Probably our steward had to take care of too many cabins as well. The TV in the room was not good at all. Several channels were not working properly. When switching channels the sound had to be adjusted immediately, because either my neighbors could hear my TV, or I could not hear anything. The remote control was so inconvenient, that changing volume or channels was not an easy task. The choice of programs was simply poor: few old and older TV shows/sitcoms and 4 or 5 old and older movies repeated over and over again. Same movies were in the movie theater. Also the outside view TV channel was not on most of the time. It is important for an inside cabin to be able to turn on the TV and see the outside. Usually it is the view from the bridge.

Entertainment was OK. Excellent production shows. The singers and dancers were great. Unfortunately, Cunard was ignoring second sitting guests. There was additional entertainment often in the ballroom at the same time as second sitting shows. We also did not have the opportunity to enjoy some music before dinner. We are not smokers and drinkers, and were not hanging out at bars. The little music they offered was in the bars. Nothing in those beautiful halls and hallways.

Excellent library. Plenty spaces for sunbathing and relaxing. Always enough chairs and towels. According to daily program, the pool and two hot tubs on deck 8 are off limits to children under 17. But the kids were all over, all 357 of them. If QM2 would at least put up a corresponding sign, just like they did on the deck for Grill guests, kids and their parents could be reminded.

Except being beautiful and differently constructed, QM2 is just another mass production cruise ship. I would not speak for those in Grill accommodations, but for average cruiser it is definitely not worth 32% - 30% more than other 4.5 * ships and I would only go again if and when I find good deal. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2)