Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review by M. C. Holston

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review by M. C. Holston
Costa Mediterranea
Costa Mediterranea
Member Name: M. C. Holston
Cruise Date: October 2005
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: 6
See More About: Costa Mediterranea Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Costa Mediterranea Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Mediterranea Deck Plans
CostaMediterranea - Trans-Atlantic
We embarked in Venice Oct 30. Embarkation proceedings OK. We were in cabin 6245 from Venice to Savonna and in cabin 6237 from Savonna to Ft. Lauderdale. First night in Cabin 6245 could hardly sleep---it wasn't a bed we were on but a cot with about a 5 inch thick pad. I won't dignify it by calling it a mattress. We contacted the very Gracious Melanie the next day and she saw that a second pad was put on top of the pad we tried to sleep on the first night.

Our cabin attendants Walter on the first leg and Archie on the 2nd leg were great. Melanie, the english speaking hostess was great as was Abra of the shore excursion section. Oh, yes, Ciro, the restaurant manager was very gracious and attentive. I can blame him for the mediocre food. He didn't prepare it.

The food was mediocre. You can't have exception food if you're cooking for several thousand people. It's call institutional food. We went to the Medusa Restaurant one night. I ordered a filet well done. It was not well done when I got it. I sent it back--it still wasn't well done. I attempted to eat around the edges but the cut of meat was so tough, it was impossible to cut, much less eat. I did not have one bite of that filet. Essentially, I paid $20 and I got only a salad to eat. I don't recall what the side order was now but I didn't eat it.

The ship was immaculately clean.

Some of the ports of call were way too short.

I attempted to listen to a featured tenor one afternoon. I lasted about 45 seconds. The accompanying music was amplified so much, I couldn't hear the tenor. I thought it was about the tenor's voice---not the amplification of the background music.

I was surprised to see a $260.00 charge from Costa on my credit card when I received it. This was over and above the $2378.75 charged to my shipboard account which I'm not disputing. I've been working with Grace Butler to determine why the $260.00 was added to my credit card. The matter is yet unresolved.

All in all, on a scale of 1 to 10, the cruise received a high 4 from me. And, I'm not a first time cruiser. That was my 20th cruise.

Publication Date: 02/08/06
More Costa Mediterranea Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Costa Mediterranea review Read the next Costa Mediterranea review

More Transatlantic Cruise Reviews