MSC Lirica Cruise Review by brenda green: MSC Lirica - Southern Caribbean

Compare Prices on MSC Lirica Southern Caribbean Cruises

MSC Lirica - Southern Caribbean

Sail Date: December 2005
Destination: Southern Caribbean

The phrase "you get what you pay for comes to mind" when I think of this cruise. On the positive side we saw a lot of ports, and the ship was very clean.

We had just taken a Princess cruise in October so our minds were very fresh to compare the two.

I really feel one could stare if not careful on this ship. They post that breakfast was over at 9:30 which I think is extremely early as it is, but at 9:15 the food was whisked away whether you were standing in line or not. I believe breakfast opens at 6:30 but even the waiters say they don't get a sole in before 8:30. There was not a place to eat between 9:15 and 12 noon. Room service is avail. but a VERY limited menu and you have a 50-50 chance of getting what you ordered.

If you did not feel like going to a formal dining room for dinner you did not have the buffet option as you do on other cruise lines. Again it is lousy hit and miss room service or nothing. The drinks are very expensive. They serve free More ice tea during the day but the dispensers are all empty after about 9 at night.

The desserts are terrible. They taste so "fake". We were really looking forward to try the pizza...I have had better frozen types.

Lunch buffet was so obviously leftovers from the night before. I have no problem with saving food...but they should at least make it into something different instead of reheating it and serving it again.

We took our two teenagers who thank god met up with a group of other teens. They made they own teen programs or else they would have been bored out of their minds. They found the crew members to be quite rude to them and seem to almost force them out of the disco at night so they could go to bed.

My husband and I found the same thing in the casino. It seemed as soon as the pit boss starting yawning we were told we were finishing that hand then the casino was closed. This was at 1 am. The language was another thing that seem to wear thin by day 4. Bingo was called in 5 different languages. Almost all the staff had english as a second language. It made it really hard to communicate anything specific you needed or was looking for.

We upgraded to a suite (which we would never be able to afford on Princess etc....) which made out cabin stay very comfortable. The suites have walk in closet and full size bath tubs.

I have mixed feelings whether I would use this cruise line again. It was extremely affordable....with a lot of port stops. If at the very least they would extend their breakfast hours, I think I could overlook the rest. Less

Read more MSC Lirica cruise reviews >>