Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by chyna_c

Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Liberty - Eastern Caribbean

Embarkation: Long lines which moved fairly quickly. I got in line about 12:30 and was onboard by 1:45. I had dreaded this part of the process as I had heard about people standing in the sun for 2 ½ hours in prior departures of the Liberty. I think they are improving this process from what I had read earlier. Ship: Carnival is getting its class-act together.

This ship was both bold and yet understated at the same time. The public spaces are getting better and better! Crew and Staff: Very very friendly. Every time I went down the hall, I was greeted by each crew member who I passed. My cabin stewardess, Daniella was excellent. She and her crew kept my cabin sparkling. The dining staff, head waiter Eugene and his assistant waiter Laura were very good. I commend them as we had three tables and kept playing musical chairs all week and yet they kept up with us!

Best Events/Places onboard: Deck parties, Movies under the Stars, Adult Comedy shows (Percy Crews), Stage shows (rocking down Broadway) Passenger talent show, Legends show, Chocolate Extravaganza, Hot and Cool Disco, Paparazzi Wine Bar, Piano Bar, Gloves Sports Bar Cabin: I had #2211 Main Deck, Forward (very forward) and was very pleased.

I travel solo so this cabin was just perfect for one although two friends could share this cabin. One twin bed and one sofa bed, be warned not for couples! There are two portholes which provide light and a reference point for the time of day.

Ports of Call: San Juan  great city, just a shame there is such a limited time there. Wish Carnival would arrive earlier like noon or so to have some daylight time there. The old forts would be great to tour, but they are closed at night. Had dinner at the Parrot Club and would recommend to those who want a taste of Puerto Rico instead of the ships fare and the Mojitos were great! Senor Frogs, not for the faint hearted but lots of fun!

St. Thomas  I took a Carnival ships tour to the island of St. John which was beautiful and not nearly as commercial as St. Thomas. The tour was a bit unorganized. We were placed on a bus, then made to get off the bus, then were told at the end we had to get back on the original bus! It was nuts! We ended up at Trunk Bay beach which closed down at 3:30, right when you needed to get something cold to drink! Trunk Bay is gorgeous just get there earlier in the day! The Beach is run by the US Park Services as well. Highly Recommend going to St. John but not necessarily the ships tour.

Antigua  Took one of Lawrence of Antiguas tours. Fabulous! Saw all of the sights and tasted some fresh fruits grown on the island, delightful. Fresh bananas and pineapple unlike any you have tasted other places! After our in depth tour, we went to Turners beach, which was gorgeous. When we arrived there was only a handful of people there, by the time we had left, it was getting busy.

Tortola  Took a Carnival Ships tour to sightseeing and to Cane Garden Bay Beach. Tortola is a beautiful island and was a pleasant surprise. I didnt do the traditional trip to the baths, but found the Island Tour to be wonderful. The mountains, the beaches are all wonderful. The beach was busy but surprisingly relaxed. Sun, sand and swaying palms, this beach has it all! Chair rentals were $5 and try one of the local drinks, a Bushwacker drink which was $5, but was fabulous!

Nassau  Went over to Atlantis, not really worth the time unless you have a room booked at the resort. You will be stopped at every turn as you cannot access most things there without a room key or wrist band. Tried booking a room at the neighboring Comfort Inn and suites and they insisted my rate which my Travel Agent had booked me at was only for two people, I said my Travel Agent was fully aware I was booking a room for four adults. They tried to double the room rate and I refused to check in. They said they were going to charge me anyway. I am disputing their charge as I booked for one rate and then changed the rate to nearly double. Seems others who had did this got their rates jacked up as well. Thumbs down on them for bait and switch!

Debarkation: I used the traditional debarkation process and found it went smoothly. Friends who used the self-assist program said it was mass chaos. Perhaps they can find a way to make this move smoother by instead of calling an open cattle call to maybe do self assist by decks or by groups such as those over 65, those traveling with small children, etc.. as well. I happened to be on an upper deck looking downward at the self assist debarkation and it appeared to me that maybe 25% of the passengers used this method, which meant about 900 people with baggage were all trying to get off the ship at the same time!! MADNESS! I think this is a great option, but needs some tweaking. I think this has the potential to be a great program but isnt there yet!
Publication Date: 01/30/06