Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by wanman: Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

wanman
Member Since 2005

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: December 2005
Embarkation: Galveston

We had a good time on the cruise. The Conquest is a huge beautiful ship full of art and beautiful colors. I was in awe when I walked in, as the CD said in the Welcome Aboard show, I walked in, stopped, and went (insert Forrest Gump voice here) Wow this is a big ship.

It was kind of disappointing because some of the staff members were rude (we asked one of the photographers if she was open to take pictures yet (It was still early) and she replied back Well, I am not standing here for my health). Some of the staff never smiled and seemed like they just did their job.

Our Room Steward (I Made) and Dining Room Team (Joey and Christopher) were wonderful.

The Lido buffet area was a little disappointing with selections and their hours of operation (close at 2:30 for lunch, 9:30 for dinner and then all you have are Pizza or the Deli). As usual all the food was wonderful. The Chocolate buffet was to die for.

In Jamaica we did the Rose Hall Tour. More Wonderful tour and a beautiful view.

In Grand Cayman we did the Stingray Sandbar, Turtle Farm, and Hell tour. Well worth the money and very informative and fun. The guidebook says it is a 3 ½ hour excursion, but it was more like 5 hours which was great. The only bad part of this excursion was the family that was yelling at the boat driver (?) that we need to hurry up and anchor because they had to be back at the ship soon (They were on another Carnival ship that left after we did, and this was at about 11:45). These people kept getting louder and louder and then their children got involved. They then had the nerve to complain to the boat driver that he parked in the wrong spot because the water was too deep for their kids to get off without it being over their head.

In Cozumel, we did the Folklore show and Shopping. The show was spectacular (better than the ship shows in my opinion which is saying a lot because I loved the ships productions). Cozumel is rebuilding and coming along good. The locals seem very genuine and welcoming to the tourists. I probably spent more than I planned there, but they need the money and I needed the souvenirs : )

Our Cruise Director told us at the Past Guest Party that the Conquest will go back to NOLA in 2007 and the new Carnival Freedom will sail from Galveston in the winter months and do the Med in the spring/summer.

Speaking of that, the Cruise Director, Todd Whitmer, was wonderful. He kept everyone rolling in the isles and had great entertainment lined up and wonderful activities. They had a huge deck party Tuesday night that was lots of fun and showed the Rocky Horror Picture show on Thursday complete with Todd and his assistant dressing up in the parts. They also did their Christmas show on Saturday and that was great. The Captain even took part and sat on the floor with the kids during part of the show. Very classy if you ask me! The most touching moment came when the staff came out with candles and sang Silent Night. That gave me goose bumps.

Embarkation was very easy. 30 minutes from the time we parked until we got on the ship.

Debarkation was OK. Our color was called about 10:00 off by 10:30 and on the road by 11:00.

Will I do another Carnival cruse, well, umm, uhh, You better believe it! Even though there were some bad points, the good far out weighed the bad, and I am one that believes not everyone has a good day every day.

I do think I like the Fantasy class better than the Conquest class (this was my 2nd cruise and first on a big ship). But then again, a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day on land! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>