Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by luann: Jewel of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Jewel of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: November 2005

After reading a few negative reviews I thought I should write my experience. I travelled with my husband and two sons (toddlers). I must say this was our first cruise and I was very excited and worried on how the experience was going to be. I booked last minute so I found a interior room on the 8th floor which worried me also. My husband was kind of hesitant and was kind of thinking it was not going to be at all great. He is very picky and I am as well. I cannot even describe how great it was. We had a fantastic time. We travel every year and we are thinking on cruising from now on till there is no interesting itinerary for us to go on.

I loved it and my husband too. My toddlers loved it as well, they had a blast at the Adventure Ocean camp and with us. Now we must go on the Voyager class. I just can't picture how much more fun could it be. Before we went I read a million reviews and most importantly the negative ones. Out of curiosity I just read one from October saying More that some parts were dirty, blah blah.. THis is not true, I am a clean freak and I would be disappointed to see stuff like that and this ship was very clean, new, and you could see the employees all around cleaning but of course, if these people happened to passed by a spot where someone had just left stuff, dah.. its not like you have an employee standing right next to you waiting for your last napkin..right on the spot. I also read right before we left someone complaining that the pool area was small, that they could never find chairs. Not true. There are so many things to do, too many chairs, and when that area is full all you have to do is stand a minute look around and theres always a few people leaving as you get there and you can always move the chairs around and place them where ever you want. It was not crowded, it was a lot of fun.

The interior room was fine too. And the room was very comfortable too. Our room was located on the front of the ship, and I read last minute that this area is prone to lots of motion therefore you get sick. We did not get sick and it was never uncomfortable. One day the weather was not good so there was motion not just in the front but all around but it was not nothing out of this world. Nothing that bothered.

I was also worried before going on how much clothing to bring. We did so much, especially my boys that I wished I brought more clothes. Another thing I did not know is that there are NO IRONS available. They do have laundry service and it's not that expensive. I heard you can sneak an iron in your luggage. I wished I had one.

I did not like so much the ports. Cozumel was badly hit by the hurricane and I don't think its ready to receive tourists yet. But that's just my opinion. Costa Maya is ok but only that. We are more into discovering new cultures, sightseeing and, in Costa Maya we did not see much, Grand Cayman is pretty. To rent a car you need to go to the airport. So you have to plan that ahead of time. Key West is nice. Its always good to visit new places. But anyway forgetting about the ports, the ship is a lot of fun.

Reviews about formal nights are silly, They make them sound like its an ultimate mandatory thing. We did followed the formal nights as requested only at Dinner. Having other plans a couple of hours later we changed for a comfortable attire and continued with our fun. Please.. especially with practically babies.. People take it way to serious. Oh and you always had an option to skip the fancy dinner and go to the Windjammer which always had a variety of very good food.

Anyway, we loved it!!! The soda packages are silly too. Who wants fountain soda.. and if you wanted soda, is only 1.50. They had any juice available free or tea (I must say that for some reason, this is my only complaint, they never added ice to the juices or teas and I did not like that. I did buy a lot of drinks that were offered around the ship, specially at the pools area. They were soo good.. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>