Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Longlegscruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Longlegscruiser
Carnival Liberty
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean
In general this was a great cruise& I will have specific information detailed within my review.

Arrival: To start we arrived in Miami Friday (11/25) afternoon we had direct flights from Richmond Virginia and was picked up by a car service and taken to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale. After reading many reviews I finally reserved the Marriott Marina for one night and we were not disappointed. We had a great room on the 3rd floor that overlooked the marina& The service was great and the restaurant on site was very good. Early Saturday morning, my longtime boyfriend (Don) saw our ship and the Caribbean Princess come into port&. What a way to start the morning off.. He woke me up and we went down for breakfast and took a quick walk around the intercostal waterway.. Several million dollar yachts were parked right outside of the hotel and it was really cool to be able to look at them all& Just think someone actually owns one of those yachts and gets to travel any where they want! It must be nice!! Anyway, we signed up for the shuttle service and the hotel shuttle took us and one other couple (whom we did not know) to the ship port at around 11:30am. We arrived and stood in line, a line that was not that long and one that moved very fast& Don and I were on the ship by 12:30pm and went ahead to our room to check it out&

Our room: We had room 8276 on the verandah deck& What can I say, it was perfect for -2- people and the balcony was great! The beds were the most comfortable ever! The first thing I did was run up to the Lido deck and grab a couple pieces of pizza (my fav pizza) before everyone else got on the ship.. Don stayed in the room trying to fix the digital camera he had just dropped on the ground shortly before boarding the ship& Frustration was all over his face so I figured I would step out for a few minutes& By the time I got back to the room Don had fixed the camera (by dropping it again  go figure) and we were ready to take pictures!! We went out on the deck and took several pics&. . More about the room, though small (like most cruise ship rooms) it had plenty of storage compartments and little spaces to put your personal items.. The bathroom had a stand up shower stall which was equipped with a soap and shampoo dispenser (no conditioner). Plenty of storage space on the sink/mirror in the bathroom. We also got a small basket full of goodies.. It contained: dental floss, toothpaste, hair gel samples, razor for him and her, Tylenol samples, 2 packs of Rolaids, mouthwash, I can't remember the rest if any. After we unpacked our suitcases (we had 5) we shoved them under the bed and forgot all about them!

Our room steward was Jurwood and he was excellent.. Our room was always clean and he made some cool towel animals for us.. Some I had never seen before, like a sting ray, monkey hanging from our closet door and a cute elephant that wore my sunglasses... The tv reception was great on the entire cruise. They also ran some good movies the week we were on the ship.. Although I never watched any of them in their entirety, I watched bits and pieces of a lot of them, like Mr & Ms Smith, and some others I dont remember the name of.. One with Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutchner.. And for all of you that are devote Oprah watchers, she comes on at 1:00am the morning, so I would go back to the room, watch her (if it was a good show) and then go back to the casino or whatever we were doing.

The Ship: I have to say the ship is not decorated in the bright party themes like the Imagination and Fantasy. Its dEcor is very Mediterranean and uses more laid back color schemes.. It is elegant and classy.. The ship is very beautiful.. I dont get all the urns stuffed with the red fake flowers though& Less urns would probably be ok. The ship is spotless and someone is always cleaning, wiping, vacuuming, at all hours of the night, believe me I was up in the wee hours of the morning!! The cruise director Brent Mitchell was very funny and I was surprised at how young he seemed to be&..Overall he did a good job keeping passengers informed.

Food: I ate the most I have ever eaten during this cruise. The portions seemed a lot larger than they were on previous cruises& The dinner menu had great variety,,, Some things I had which were great: pumpkin soup, navy bean soup, lobster bisque, tomato soup with a touch of gin, crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, fruit and cheese plates, filet mignon, pork medallions, honey glazed chicken, lobster tail, raspberry crème brulee, bananas foster, key lime pie, crème caramel .. Don had most of the same except he did have a lot of lamb (he loved it), duck, escargot, porterhouse steak, beef Wellington.. We also went to Harrys one night and I have to say it was exceptional. I had surf and turf with lobster bisque (they served this later in the week in the dining room), salad and for dessert I dont remember!! Don had a porterhouse steak and escargot. He liked it.. Our bill came to over $200 but that is because we bought an expensive bottle of champagne, thus the reason why I dont remember what I had for dessert!!

I ordered room service every morning, got coffee, oj and croissants. Me and Don had our coffee on our balcony every morning. We only did 1 breakfast in the sit down dinning room which I got french toast and corn beef hash, it was good. I also got breakfast from the lido buffet once as it was always crowded up there& I got scrambled eggs which were ok, pancakes and fresh fruit. Don got fish/chips one day and he really like it.. I did order a ham/cheese sandwich and brownie/cookie tray from room service one afternoon and it was good.

Service.. Overall was excellent, especially in Harrys.. A couple of things I have to be honest about in the dining room during dinner. Cebel was the head waiter, Tanya was her assistant, Jefferson was the wine seward. We had late seating (8:00pm in Silver Dining Room) and sat at table 545 which was a table for -2- (we thought we had a bigger table) no biggie though we made friends with the people sitting around us and all of them were a lot of fun. That was not the issue, the issue was on at least 2 occasions I had to ask for a refill of water, on at least 2 occasions I had to ask for bread/rolls, and on at least 2 occasions we had to remind our waiters that we did order coffee with our desserts& Don said this was because right around the time they do their little dining room show they also ask for your dessert order.. He thinks they kept forgetting our coffee because they were busy dancing/singing. Ok I guess so.. but if it happens one night you would think it would not happen the very next night. But it did.. This is really my only complaint and I know its nothing major.. but I wanted everyone to know my experience.

Ports: We went to Costa Maya Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama. Not really impressed with Costa Maya, the beach was full of rocks or sea coral or something and was otherwise very pretty but you really could not go out and take a swim,, I guess you could but I would not chance it.. We bought a few souvenirs and got back on the ship.. Costa Rica, is absolutely breath taking (the view from the ship), we had a tour with Charlie Soto.. He was great, we actually toured with one of his counterparts as Charlie was leading another tour group. We had Carlos and he was very informative.. He took us around in an air conditioned van and the tour was pretty long.. We stopped and took a boat ride thru the canals (we saw all kinds of birds, sloths, crocodiles (little ones), we also stopped at the Dole banana plantation and also did a tour at a private animal sanctuary.. where I held baby monkeys, huge parrots and sloths. This is a must for anyone! Also the animal sanctuary is right on the beach, and its absolutely beautiful.. This experience is one I can not describe in words&To see these animals and to be able to hold these animals is amazing.. I had a fantastic time. The people who own the animal sanctuary are from Louisiana, they lost their home in LA to hurricane Katrina.. They are very kind hearted people. They take care of the animals as if they are their own babies. Panama, my main concern here was getting myself an emerald.. Don slept in because he stayed out all night so I got up grabbed my credit card and my sign/ sail card and headed to the gangway. Once off the ship I noticed men carrying machine guns everywhere& Needless to say I was very uncomfortable. I went straight to the Emerald store and started looking at emeralds.. I gave the lady my spending limit (as instructed by the carnival shopper onboard) and this lady kept showing me rings, double the amount I wanted to spend and I kept saying No, that is too much, No, No, No, and finally I said just forget it, I am not spending that kind of money and obviously you dont want to show me anything in my price limit so I am leaving.. She mumbled something under her breath and I walked out& I was the only person in this store the entire time and at no point while I was in there, did anyone else come in& Dont know why but regardless I did not buy my emerald there. Later that night I went to the jewelry store on the ship and bought myself a beautiful emerald and diamond ring for LESS than I was willing to spend in Panama.. I know its not the highest grade emerald but its from Colombia and its very nice and I was able to afford it!!

Misc:. Me and Don won a lot in the casino.. I only played the $1-- Wheel of Fortune slots that they have& They only have -2- of them and they are on the end of the slot area near the casino bar. I hit $500 on both of them on different days, later on I hit one for $400, Don hopped on one that I had gotten off and he hit it for $500. He also played Let it Ride and won about $500 total. I watched a lady win $3000 on one of the Wheel of Fortune slots like the 1st day of the cruise (this is why I ended up playing them), later in the week I watched her put $2500 back in that same machine all in one day. Needless to say I spent my money on my emerald ring!!, and other jewelry I got from the ship& I played a lot of bingo but did not win..

Shows, we did not go to any, so I have nothing to report.

We left a couple of people in Costa Maya, the waiters think they did not turn their watches back like they were instructed to do and probably had too much to drink, we had a medical emergency and had to stop in Grand Cayman one night. Dont know what the medical emergency was though and we were not there long at all.

Met a lot of nice people while on board. Met a lot of hard working people as well. Adrienn in the Paparazzi bar is great&

Balcony doors, for those that get balcony rooms, be mindful of your neighbors and do not allow your balcony door to slam shut,,, Don and I were very careful and our door did not slam often, but our neighbors could have cared less and their door slammed shut on many occasions,, this could wake you up from a deep sleep, its pretty loud when it slams shut.

Also, you can hear your neighbors if both of you are on the balcony at the same time, so remember that when you are having a conversation out there.. Our neighbors seemed to argue a lot& They were an older couple who were grouchy toward each other all the time. The women would holler at the man and he would ask her who the hell did she think she was talking to!! It was pretty humorous!

All and all it was a great time! Please let me know if you have any questions. Once my pics are loaded I will post a link to them.

Publication Date: 01/03/06