Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Sharmeen

Cabin Category: 4A
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean
This is our 3rd cruise - all with Carnival.

Carnival Glory is a fun ship. The cruise director, Shawn Bussey, is great. There's always something to do. My husband and I tried to attend as many activities on aboard as we could...but there were too many. We definitely enjoyed our cruise. Only problem we had was that there is no clock in the cabins. The night before Debarkation, we are told to place our luggage outside our door - by midnight- so that the porters can accumulate the luggage and have it ready to offload when we arrive in Port Canaveral. We were late in leaving our luggage outside the door by a few minutes (due to no clock in the cabin and time zone confusion between our home / Florida / and Caribbean). You can tell the ship time if you flip through the TV channels to find the Carnival TV guide.) When we informed the Pursers desk, they told us that they will not take our luggage and told us to carry it off the ship ourselves. We were able to fix this matter by persuasion and threatening to escalate this matter to their superiors.

Word of Advice: Use Carnival's customer support team for reservations/questions, etc. I booked through the Carnival customer support. I was very specific as to what I wanted, ie: inside cabin, king bed, late dining, etc. and asked lots of questions. Everything was perfect (mainly because I went through Carnival to make reservations) We booked our last Carnival cruise via online and got bunk beds...not very pleasant. This time we had an inside cabin. Only problem is that you can't tell when it's morning or night. But since we didn't plan on staying in the cabin much, we didn't care.

We were a group of 6 adults and Carnival did a great job of keeping us close with our cabins and we were together for dinner. The staff is wonderful. Everyone on board works very hard. Our room steward and dinner wait staff were extraordinary!! It was sad to leave them.

The Food -- The food is ok. I got bored of it after the 3rd day. Same thing again and again during breakfast. Only good thing was the omelet station. The lines are long during peak breakfast (8:30-10am) and lunch hours (12:00-1:00pm). There are 2 types of buffets during lunch. On line always has a different ethnic food, like French, Italian, Indian, or Caribbean. The other buffet line is always American. Again, the food for breakfast and lunch is OK. For Dinner, the food is better. The meats are more exotic like lamb and veal along with different types of steaks. The portions are perfect if you order an appetizer, salad and the entree. I ordered 2 appetizers instead of a salad because I could not decide on 1 appetizer. People sometimes ordered 2 entrees. Since we love Indian food, we found out that there are many Indian chefs on board. So we asked our Maitre D to arrange Indian food for us for dinner. And they did a remarkable job or presenting the entrees. I will always remember how Carnival Glory's staff went out of their way a to accommodate our likings. SUPERB!!!!!!

The Ship -- I've been on the Carnival Conquest and Inspiration and think that the decor on those ships are much better than on the Glory. It's an ok ship. Lots of color…bit too much with the neon greens and yellows. One good thing I liked about the ship was that there were lots or genuine art paintings all over. These pieces are for sale, and are displayed all over the ship (they keep the expensive ones in the art gallery). There are 3 pools and they seemed empty most of the time. The Amber palace is very elegant, but it may have a sanitation problem. A few people (as well as myself) got rashes and bites from god-knows- what for a few days. Just remember to take antibacterial ointment. I signed up for Yoga classes. This was wonderful. I've never done Yoga and I think I will start. We did Yoga outside on the deck - what an experience!! I also did the Indian Scalp Massage. This is very soothing and relaxing. During the last 2 days of the cruise, the Spa has discounted massage prices.

Ports of call -- NOTE: We’ve always done excursions with Carnival, except for this time since the excursions were very expensive through Carnival.

Nassau: I second the motion to remove this island from the itinerary. Unless you do a shore excursion, there’s nothing to do but to go to Atlantis and visit the hotel grounds. We took a water taxi to Atlantis and toured the hotel by ourselves. A few of us used the casino and got bored real fast. We didn’t have to pay for the tour if we took the tour by ourselves.

St. Thomas: BEAUTIFUL island. A MUST SEE. Too bad we were late arriving to this island due to rough seas. I think I’m in love with this island. I love beaches and different sceneries and St. Thomas is something to see. We took a taxi to Megan's Bay and spent the evening there. We came after 5 pm so we didn’t pay for admission. It is a beautiful beach. We then took a scenic route back to the ship. The jewelry prices are ok. We waited till St. Maarten to purchase jewelry. Liquor is cheaper than in the US. We bought 2 bottles of liquor and were able to sneak then back into the ship (Carnival requires that you surrender alcohol that was purchased outside the ship when you embark from the islands and they will hold the alcohol for you until the last day). I think they do this to control the amount of alcohol consumed and also to prevent under age drinking.

St. Maarten: Again, very beautiful. St. Maarten seemed more of a party island. Jewelry is cheaper. Our group did some serious jewelry shopping. We bought a Nano Ipod and some speakers for the Ipod. I think we got a good deal. Definitely enjoyed this island.

My husband and I are into art and attended the art auction onboard quite frequently. We also bought a nice piece of art from Marteros and also won an art piece. I really loved this experience. Please do attend, as the Carnival art collection is superb.

Overall, our experience was good. I would recommend this ship.

Publication Date: 12/23/05