Carnival Glory Cruise Review by NeedATan

Dining 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean
In one word - AWESOME! To put things in perspective, it was myself and a friend, 26 yr old single females. This was my second cruise (first was on the Fantasy) and my friend's first.

We stayed at the Best Western Cocoa Beach the night before the cruise. While it is not a five star hotel, it was more than sufficient for $89/night - I have no complaints! We took the shuttle to/from the port for $4/pp each way and this was easy as well!

Embarkation: This process went very smoothly. We arrived at the port at about noon and were walking on the ship at 12:40. Our cabin was not ready, but we were able to drop our stuff off before heading out to lunch.

Cabin: We did not splurge on our cabin, but with free upgrades we ended up with an inside cabin on the upper deck. We loved it - plenty of space to suit our needs! We were right above the Blue Bar (Karaoke) and you could definitely hear everything that went on there at night, but we were never in our room until long after it ended, so it did not interrupt our sleeping.

Food: We had the 8:30 seating in the Golden Dining Room. Our waitress was Nicoletta from Romania and she was fabulous. We had 5 people at our table from Mexico and she was even able to converse with them in Spanish! The food was FABULOUS each and every night - I can't say that I have any favorites because everything was good. There was one dessert that I didn't care for (a chocolate mousse and pastry concoction), but I LOVED everything else that I ate!

We always ate breakfast and lunch in the Red Sail and I have no complaints here either. There's plenty to choose from at breakfast (the hot chocolate is REALLY good) and the burgers and sandwiches at lunch were good too. I never did make it to the Fish n Chips!

The Staff: I cannot say enough good things about the entire staff. The room stewards, the waiters, the bartenders always had smiles on their faces and were very attentive and friendly. The bartenders (especially Josef) at the casino bar were great - not only did they remember your name, but what you ordered as well!

The Shows: We saw all three comics and really enjoyed 2 out of 3. We did not see any of the variety shows, except for their American Idol type show, which was entertaining. We LOVED watching karaoke - they had it almost every day - lots of funny, talented, entertaining people on board!!

The ship: The Glory is fantastic - plenty to do, plenty to see. The ship is in great shape and still looks new. We did not have a hard time mastering the layout after our first day. You do a lot of walking up and down the stairs but that's good for working off every meal!

Halloween: Halloween was fun. They did have a costume parade and contest. They had a costume party and I was really surprised at how many people did dress up - I'm glad I brought a costume!

Nassau: We never made it to port due to weather (we did receive a $25 posting to our sail and sign). The weather was bad, bad, bad the entire day and the seas were rough. I had taken Bonine and dramamine and still felt sick most of the day - the only cure for me was drinking a little alcohol! I would recommend this as a good remedy!

St Thomas: We had booked a tour with Godfrey and he never showed up! I hadn't done much research on this port, so we ended up taking a taxi to Charlotte Amalie to shop and then another taxi to Magen's Bay. In the end, we really enjoyed our day. I just wish I had seen more of the island!

St Maarten: In my opinion, St Maarten is even more beautiful than St Thomas. For the morning, we booked a horseback riding tour through Bayside Stables. This was a GREAT thing to do - we went swimming in the ocean on the horses! I would recommend it to anyone, but only if you have some experience riding a horse. I didn't, so it made things a little interesting. In the afternoon, we did the Wild n Mild jeep tour through Carnival. This was also great and included a tour, shopping, and a stop at Orient Beach. I would highly recommend this as well.

Sea Days: I enjoyed the sea days just as much as the days in port! We would get out to the pool at about 10 or 10:30 and could easily find chairs available on the upper deck surrounding the pool. In my opinion, this was better than being on the pool deck because the wind kept you cool and you could see all of the action.

Debarkation: We did self assist and probably wouldn't do this again unless it was a shorter cruise. We had way too much luggage and it was painful to get all of it off. Unless you have one suitcase, I wouldn't do self assist - you don't realize how much walking and standing in line there is - and two sets of escalators! We were called at about 7:45 and in the parking lot by about 8:45.

All in all this was a fantastic trip!! The one thing that surprised me was the amount of interaction we had with our fellow passengers. This may have something to do with the fact that there was a group of 300 singles onboard (we were not part of the group), but everyone on the ship was very friendly and fun and we made a lot of wonderful friends!!

Publication Date: 12/02/05