Finnmarken Cruise Review by Ceanothus: Finnmarken - Northern Europe

Finnmarken - Northern Europe

Sail Date: September 2005
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Bergen

This cruise was very different from the cruises I've taken on HAL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. The ship was comfortable, but offered almost no entertainment. Entertainment is provided by the ports and the views from your cabin window or from the decks.

There is a free bus from the area near the fish market in Bergen to the Hurtigruten pier. We took advantage of it. Boarding was a breeze. Large bag was checked, and I rolled my rolling back pack. We were told that our cabins would not be ready until about 4 PM, but we were welcome in the public areas. Actually, our cabins were available by 2:30 PM, which was fifteen minutes after we boarded.

Shipboard announcements are done in Norwegian, German and English. Most of the passengers on this cruise were people who speak English as a first language.

Three meals per day are provided, with two seatings for dinner. There are no formal nights at all, but most folks "cleaned up" for dinner every night. More That might mean a clean shirt with the third wearing of the TravelSmith slacks, but it was fine. Food was not really very interesting to me, as I am a vegetarian. There was a lot of caviar and herring available, even at breakfast, and lots of other fish, too.

If you are hungry between meals, there is a place to purchase snacks, salads, sandwiches and desserts, at rather high prices, even for Norway.

Alcohol was extremely expensive on board. A glass of house wine, from a box, was about $12. Beer was about $10. We had purchased a box of Australian shiraz in Stavanger, and carried it aboard. We shared this wine before dinner and, sometimes, after dinner, and felt as though we saved a considerable amount of money.

One evening, there was an entertaining event. We had crossed the arctic circle that day, and we were initiated by "King Neptune" that evening. The costumed ship employee inserted several cubes of ice down our backs, and we were given a certificate, signed by the captain, verifying our crossing. The certificate was dated for the wrong date.

The ports were very interesting. I particularly enjoyed the music museum in Trondheim, and the Nordcapp experience.

I would recommend this cruise, but not for those who wish to relax and be waited upon. This one is for those who want a "soft" adventure. Less

Read more Finnmarken cruise reviews >>