Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by Johnrock: Infinity - Mexican Riviera

Infinity - Mexican Riviera

Sail Date: September 2005
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This was a very short cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada, MX. It was my seventh cruise, but the first Celebrity X experience. I cannot recommend the ship enough and Concierge Class or above is definitely the way to go.

Our wait in line to check in was about 20 seconds! About 5 minutes later we were already on the ship, which was spotless. A white glove escort to the cabin was unexpected and a complimentary cold bottle of Champagne and a small fruit basket really gave a fantastic first impression. The cabin was normal sized, but thanks to some helpful diagrams that are on the internet I found a room on the Penthouse level with an extra large balcony (about 8'X 10'). We relaxed and drank most of the bottle the first hour when our steward finally introduced himself and suggested we might enjoy a second free bottle if he could find one...he did. We unpacked a little and went up for a bite to eat before leaving San Diego. What a start!

We were given a table for 2 as More requested for the two nights that we dined in the main dining room. The service and food was superior there. We had buffets for breakfast and lunch. Note that the buffet serves everything to you instead of allowing you to fill your own plate as you wish. That was a bit awkward. Both the lady I travelled with and myself are very critical on service because we are banquet food servers at a 1.7 billion dollar hotel in Las Vegas.

Jumping ahead a little, we dined at the upscale S.S. United States restaurant on the third and final night for $30 each and I had the wine pairing for another $27. Our head waiter, Christian, led what seemed like an army of servers to come to our table for a six course, 2.5hr meal that would be nearly impossible to exceed. This is a "must do" for any couple. How many chances do you get in life to get so much for a fraction of a normal gourmet meal's price. I'd like to go into great detail here, but to save time, just make your reservations early and get ready.

Overall, there was always something to do on the ship, but not enough time. One of the first things that we did was intrude on the kids area and played a little basketball. Being 45-50 years old, we didn't play long, but it was still fun. The movie theater, disco, and main theater all were very nice.

We played it by ear on our two stops, and got some good deals on excursions. I believe the crew said they were off to Hawaii next; our cruise was incidental. My only complaint is that on the final night, we needed a major nap after dinner, and we were not given a comment card, nor did we get an itemized bill the next morning. The charges all seemed correct in total and my companion had checked the statement on the TV as well. I wish I could supply more information, because that would mean we had more days on the cruise. We expected a lot. We got more. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>