Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Jaime

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Jaime
Email: weasel077@aol.com
Cruise Date: September 2005
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Cabins Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Canada/New England

First, I will tell you that my wife and I are in our early thirties and that we have been married two years and 1/2 years and have been on six cruises in that time period. The lines we have traveled on are Princess (Star) 2 times to Alaska 7 days and Greek isles/Italy 12 days, Carnival Spirt to Hawaii 12 days, Royal Carib 7 days to Bermuda, and Norwegian Dawn 7 day to the Bahamas. Now at least you might have a little better idea of where we have been and how I am rating this cruise.

In all seriousness this cruise was not at all what we expected. We actually booked this cruise in the hopes of finding an adventure on the biggest and grantest ship of them all. At least that is what we thought because of the way Cunard attempts to presents themselves and their ships in their advertisements . What we got was, we paid more money for the so called privilege of sailing on their ship and along with that came long lines,slow service, poor planning by ships personal and average food(No better then Princess or Royal Carb)What I don't get about all this is, I am told Carnival owns them all.

It started from day one. My wife and I decided that we wanted to try the QM2, so we contacted our travel agent and got the ball rolling. Well, I wanted to see what shore excursions were available to go along with this 11 day cruise that we were purchasing. Guess what no information online was available for any of the excursions, my travel agent called Cunard and they stated that after I book the cruise they will send me information in regards to the excursions, 28 days before sailing. I then called Cunard and received the same information as was given to my travel agent i was also told that they could not present me with any excursion information at that time. So in reality they expect people to purchase their cruises without even marketing what you and your family are going to do when you get to where you are going. Fine....honey its the QM2 well have fun just being on the ship.......................We booked the trip.

Shortly after we boarded the ship we explored the ship. It is a nice ship but really the only thing that really makes the ship standout from other ships is its height and planetarium. Its main lobby is smaller them most and you are not allowed in the Queens grill or the Princess grill unless you buy one of their expensive top of the line suites so, I'll call it a wash,,, we were over the size of the ship after we passed the Vz Bridge in New York Harbor. (ok back to the cruise) Our first night at Dinner My wife and I are seated at a table for six with no one else at the table. That was for the whole cruise the ship wasn't full( I wonder why). The Maitre D' sits a single man in his late 70s at our table he was a Male escort hired by the cruise line to keep elderly single females company during their cruise in events such as dancing and shows. I wonder why The M"D sat this man with us, I guess he though we needed company, and no the man wasn't originally scheduled to be seated at our table.

The service in the dining area The Britannia was slower then most ships plan an 1hr and 15 to 1 hr and 1/2 a night for dinner. This was of no fault to the waiters, the ship must be under staffed in one of the areas that deal with dinners on the ship. Our waiter was a complete gentleman and worked really hard. The kings court is another area where you can eat most anytime. My wife and I went to eat about 7pm because we got back late from an excursion I grab a plate and a tray which were all over the dinning area . I am starving I fill up my plate and my tray, I see some waiter running around the restaurant yanking the trays out from under people as they are eating their food. He comes up to me and tells me its dinner and I am not suppose to have a tray and grabs my tray as I am eating. I say what the hell ate you doing he tells me that no one is suppose to have trays in the buffet area at dinner and that if his supervisor sees he will be in trouble. I got news for them everybody who was eating was happy with the trays it made life easier, we were in the buffet area and about fifty people had them.

We then go to the Queens room for Bingo one waiter patrols the huge show room as I wait 25 minutes for a soda. We go to the casino I am their waiting to drink alcohol and lose my money to slots and table games. You would think they would be egar to get some drinks in me, after all drinking and gambling are usually a big no no. That's why Atlantic City and Vegas give you your drinks for free. From day one until the end of the cruise it was a constant battle to get a beer or a soda in the casino.

Oh if you go to see a show in the Royal Court theater bring a drink no waiters in there and that's where they show all there main shows.

We booked an excursion for 945 am we are told the US immigration will be boarding and that all passengers must see them before going on their excursions so from 745 am until 925am i stood on a line on the ship in the middle of my vacation to get an immigration paper stamped. did the ship ever hear of staggering the lines by cabin numbers so you don't stand on line for two hours and then on top of it all the Cruise director is apologizing because now all the excursions are being delayed for the second day in a row, i should be saying cut short because that's what happened to most excursions if the couldn't get you to them on time they were just cut short. Well now after waiting two hours on line there is a 30 minute wait on the tender lines.

This topped the cake we booked a tour for 10/04/05 that got canceled on 10/01/05 the cancellation letter was printed on 10/01/05 we received the cancellation letter on 10/03/05 in our cabin which states if we would like to book another tour we would have to do so by 10/02/05 1900 hrs. I go to the tour office to complain and the lady has the nerve to tell me that we sent the letter out on 10/01/05 in the A.M you should have gotten it. (Please give me a break , what am I making this up). They did let us get on another tour but mind you it is first come first serve for the premium tours which we blocked out.

Hope I helped you in some way feel free to email me with any questions. I would not sail this line again. I know carnival owns everything these days but for less money and the better/ quicker, service I have gotten on other ships I'll pay less to get more. Honestly the ship's coordinators planned poorly for passenger convenience and did not adjust to other factors such as weather (fog) 2 days in a row passengers had their tours cut short due to the fact that the ship could not get the customer to their excursions on time.

Publication Date: 10/12/05