Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Teeflea

Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Teeflea
Cruise Date: September 2005
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Explorer of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
This was a first time cruise for my husband and I. Not only were we first-timers, we were also on our honeymoon. We had great expectations and I must say they were all met, other than a slow start on the front end.

Embarkation was somewhat slow, but we kept in mind that there was an announced immigration issue delay. There were lines of people all over and we thought we would not get on for hours, but shortly after the initial processing and getting our seapass cards, we were loading onto the ship.

From the initial welcome to the maiden tour around the ship, we felt so welcome and special. Customer service and making passengers feel like they are VIPs was a standard aboard this ship.

Our stateroom attendant (Delroy) was a great asset. He provided us insider tips, such as different things to see and do in ports to reviews on different entertainment onboard. Our room was always impeccable and we had fresh towels and a full ice bucket at all times.

The dining was excellent. Our waiter Ernest Martin was a treasure. He remembered our particular tastes and was always right there to make a suggestion for what entree we would enjoy. We did eat at the Windjammer a few times for lunch, but I am not a big fan of buffets so I limited myself to eating only breakfast in the cafe throughout the week. The only complaint I have about the food is that the hamburgers at the cafe did not taste like beef, but something else. Not sure what, but not beef.

The entertainment throughout the week was very good. The only show we did not enjoy was the ice show. The rink is really too small to get the most out of the ice skaters performance, but 1 show out of 7 is not bad.

Ports of call were good. The only port I will not return to is Belize. Although the people there are very friendly and fun to be around, the city itself is poor and not picturesque at all. We did an excursion in Belize and I am thankful we did. I understand from others on board that there was nothing else to do in Belize. Cozumel was fantastic and Grand Cayman was a blast. Everyone should do the Stingray excursion in Grand Cayman. Well worth the expense.

Overall, we had a fantastic time. The extra attention from the staff and the small details are what made our vacation a true honeymoon. Every time we turned around we were getting something complimentary, such as photo frames and drink glasses to the initial room upgrade. If you can swing it, pay for a balcony room or better. Makes for some romantic evenings and perfect mornings.

For being such a large ship and having so many people on board we were rarely waiting in line, unless it was for an elevator. Our solution, take the stairs! There are quite a few families on board with children, but we hardly noticed as the activities for children keep them busy and in their own world.

A few hints...if you are wanting to buy any RC cruise wear or items, wait until the last day. They mark everything down...the shopping passbook, I would not do again...pay attention to your seapass account, as mistakes can be made...ask questions of fellow cruisers and staff, they may just have a great insider tip.

Overall, our honeymoon was great and our decision to go with RC was a smart one. We may explore other opportunities with Princess or Crystal, but I think we will be RC regulars.

We are already looking forward to the next cruise.

Publication Date: 09/27/05