Carnival Legend Cruise Review by mjamm

Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: mjamm
Cruise Date: August 2005
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Carnival Legend Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Eastern Caribbean

This was our first cruise. My travel agent wholeheartedly suggested Carnival. We booked an extended balcony and were quickly "upgraded". I have no complaints whatsoever about our cabin. It was spacious and the balcony gave us some extra space.

Upon arrival at the pier it started...by it I mean the lines. I printed our fun pass from the internet. This was supposed to save us time at embarkation. Apparently, everyone else sailing on the Legend did the same and this did not save us any time. The line to check our documents, then the line for check in, then the line to have our ID pictures taken. Couldn't they have done this at check in? So we were finally on the ship.

After a great deal of searching, we found our cabin. Our steward, Pisit introduced himself and we were off to explore. By about 8, all but 1 piece of our luggage had been delivered. We inquired as to where our last piece could be, but no one seemed to have an idea. Stopping my the pursers desk, I noticed some luggage, lo and behold, there was our missing piece. Seems that the tag had fallen off.

We headed off to Truffles for our 8:15 dinner seating when it happened again. We were stuck in another line. The same happened the following night. We learned our lesson and from then on we didn't head to the dining room until 8:30-8:45.

The next two days at sea were pretty much uneventful. The pools were way too small. I've read a few reviews about children running amuck, but we hung out on the back deck, where small children were no allowed in the pool. As I said, the pools especially the one on the back deck were too small.

We attended the excursion talk. How dare they take away an hour of my vacation. An hour I spent a lot of money on. Anyway, they proceeded to inform us that the only safe tours were the ones sanctioned by Carnival. So of course, we booked a tour for each of the 3 islands, and spent another $700. More on that later.

The Captain's cocktail party was a farce. They sat us in a theatre, came around with cold hors d'oeuvres and served either wine, champagne or whiskey sours. What if I didn't drink any of the afore mentioned drinks?

Our first port was Puerto Rico. We visited the Rain Forest. If you get a chance to visit the Bronx Zoo or the NY Botanical Gardens in NY do so, they're a lot nicer and cheaper than what we did.

Next port was St. Thomas. We booked snorkeling on St. John. The beach was beautiful. The day we went was very hot. The captain of the boat we took to get to St. John kept telling us we'd need water and there wasn't any place where we were going to buy some. But they had water and beer for sale. $4 for water, $3 for beer. Go figure. So, after a 45 minute boat ride and a 45 minute cab ride we get to Trunk Bay where there was a concession!! So we snorkeled for about 90 minutes before we were herded back onto the cabs for our ride back.

Next day was Tortola where we went to Lambert Beach. We were there for about 3 hours and were served a buffet lunch. Apparently they don't know very much about serving buffet to 100 people. All in all, the only excursion that was worth the money was snorkeling in St. John, but we really didn't have enough time. Travelling to the island and back to the ship took longer than the time we had to enjoy ourselves on the beach.

So, now we're headed home. The powers that be call a mandatory disembarkation meeting. At this meeting, they tell us that adults can only bring back 1 bottle of liquor each, unless it was bought on St. Thomas. All along we'd been told 5 bottles for each adult. We bought most of our liquor on the ship. But customs was cool and we weren't hit with any extra duties.

Before I forget, I really don't mind tipping, but I think they should include it in your fare. All in all, we've always wanted to cruise and we've done it. Would I cruise Carnival again? I really can't say. As I sit here concluding this post, there are a lot more things to say, but I won't because I don't think they have to do with the ship as they do with the people on the cruise.

Publication Date: 09/07/05