Carnival Legend Cruise Review by voyager Pyoter

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Legend Cruise Review by voyager Pyoter
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: voyager Pyoter
Cruise Date: August 2005
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Carnival Legend Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Eastern Caribbean
This was my first Carnival cruise and the first time I embarked from NYC. I have been on Celebrity's Galaxy and Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas.

When my family and I arrived at the port we had to wait about a half hour, having to listen to a lady that kept screaming at everyone to sit in "rows". We were then put on line after line, this took about an hour and a half.

When we arrived on the ship you walk into the main lobby, which my father thought was extremely nice. I thought it was strange and at first it made you very dizzy. I don't understand why Carnival would choose urns as a main decoration. Everywhere you can possibly imagine they toss in an urn. Odd.

There were 4 people in my stateroom. We were pretty comfortable and there was more room in this stateroom compared to the others I have been in on other cruise lines.

Dinner -- Service was excellent, however the first night we had to switch tables because 2 members of our family were put at a different table. They switched it promptly, but when we arrived to sit down, one of the maitre d's wouldn't let us in until we showed her our card, with our new table on it, which we didn't have with us. Also every night, we had to wait 10-15 minutes to get into the dining room. We had the late seating, and they wouldn't open the doors until exactly 8:15. Never had this problem on my last 2 cruises. The waiter and assistant were very good and prompt. The food was really good, better than Royal I think, but sometimes the meat wasn't cooked how we asked for it.

The pools are too small for the amount of people. Children were always jumping all over the place. The chairs were uncomfortable and always breaking. There is not much going on during the day. They play dumb pool games during the day. I don't think hairy chest competitions are entertaining. On Royal Caribbean they always had something to do at all times, not in Carnivals case. The shows were good, with a one or two weird ones. Our cruise director was good and entertaining.

Besides the dining staff and the cabin stewards, everyone else was unfriendly and snippy. The workers in the shops could care less. My mother needed to purchase something in one of the shops, and she forgot her seapass card, and only had cash on her. She knew they wouldn't accept cash. Instead of telling my mother, "Well I am sorry, we don't accept cash", or "Sorry but I need your seapass card", the women responded with "Too bad!" and walked away.

Something else I didn't understand: The ship seemed clean but every 20 feet or so the area of the ship would stink like cheese or other poor odors. One night in the theatre the smell was unbearable. The last day in the area where the shops are located it stunk like fish. Strange.

The ship also has some vibration problems for under our table at dinner we felt constant vibrations. Everything on the ship is located on the lower 2 levels. Why?

The ports of call were not too great. The only thing to do in San Juan is go to the Bacardi Factory. The resorts don't let you on the beach. St. Thomas has nice beaches and good shopping. Tortola looks just like St. Thomas. There is only one beach.

I would not sail on the Legend again, nor Carnival either. Maybe they should try to follow their slogan for the cruise was not as fun as they constantly claim. They need better service and more entertainment. I wouldn't recommend this ship or cruise line to anyone, unless they are looking for a poor cruise full of bad service, broken pool chairs, nothing to do, and strange decor.

Publication Date: 08/23/05