Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by fay54

Cruise Date: June 2005
Embarkation: Baltimore
Cabin Category: M
Cabin Number: 2080
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        16+ 4.0
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Grandeur of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Just returned on the Grandeur of the Seas as it limped back to Baltimore. The ship is not quite what I am used to. While it was in pretty good shape, the layout was different. On most ships, as you walk around you pass the lounges with music going on, etc. The lounges on this ship were tucked at the ends and you never saw them unless you were looking.

We thought the food was just passable. Had one good steak and then it was downhill from there. Out waiter was not good. He seemed to cater to those drinking wine and we were not drinking. It is usually customary for your waiter to announce to you the activities going on for the evening and breakfast. He did not tell us about the Chocolate Buffet and I did not have time to read the Compass, so we missed it. The second night I ordered another of the (good) steaks. They substituted something that was supposed to be a New York Strip. It was mostly grizzle and was very pale looking. Bad, Bad, Bad. The food in the WindJammer was the same, day in and day out. Since we were practically ignored by out waiter, we decided to eat in the Windjammer the last two nights. The people up there were more attentive than our waiter. I talked to lots of people and they had great people in the dining room. We just got unlucky.

There was a lot of congested type coughing going on on the ship and of course, my husband and I were unlucky again and returned home quite sick with some type of virus.

The entertainment was good except for the ship's singers and dancers. They were just passable and I had trouble staying awake at one of their performances. The cruise director, Wayne, was pretty good. The Vybes, which is the Caribbean Band on the pool deck were not too good.

In the evening, you could only find coffee at one end of the ship. At the other end was pizza, French fries and burgers, and water or tea. We are use to a place being open, (Windjammer) where you could get an evening snack like soup or something, but there was nothing open at night.

On the better side, my husband was lucky in the Casino, I was not. The weather was good except for the first cruise day and it was a little rough. Lots of sick people.

Our room steward was very good. He took care of all our needs and kept the room in great shape. Other than our room steward, we thought most of the staff were not as friendly as other ships.

The sewage odor that lots of people have discussed is definitely there. It is not a constant odor, but when it is there it is bad. Smelled it on deck two and other enclosed decks.

I have to say, this was our sixth cruise, and we really did not enjoy it like other cruises. I hope future cruisers on this ship have better experiences. We do not intend to go on any older and smaller ships. Voyager class ships or nothing.

Good luck to future cruisers on this ship.

Publication Date: 07/12/05