Norwegian Star 0

Cruise review of Norwegian Star

aadeo
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

The ship decor is a little Ikea meets Office Depot but it was clean and the staff was lovely. Good pool. The food is quite tasty.
There wasn't a lot of loud music or 'Are We Having Fun Yet!!!' cruise directors, so that was nice. The passengers seemed polite and respectful of each other.
What I didn't like:
-They don't give you water but they warn you not to drink tap, so it's 5 bucks a bottle from the minibar. I'm not a penny pincher but having to pay for water irked me. Other cruises handed us small bottles of water as we got on and off the boat.
-Specialty restuarants cost extra, which is fine. But they stood half empty while the regular complimentary restaurants were often packed with a waiting line. I'd like for them to have fewer specialty restaurants (there are about 6-7) and devote more resources to the regular cruise food service.
-Gambling - I get that's where they make their money. But lots of sales pitches for bingo, instant-win and other games of More chance that no one seemed to ever win.
- The spa - not a good experience.
- The library - was small and limited selection of books, yet was often packed. Note to NCL executives: people like libraries. Really they do.
What I liked:
+ Excellent entertainment. Good shows. The comedians Sharkbait were fantastic. The band was first rate. The bars and lounges had good music, singers and fun shows.
+ Trivia contests. I'm a nerd. It was fun.
+ Cleanliness. They freshened our room 3 times a day and public areas were in good shape.
+ My kids are older but the childrens' pool and activity center looked fantatic.
+ Gym was great.

What I hated. A shore excursion in Roatan that was basically a whirlwind trip to a big souvenir shop and then a sales pitch at a condo development on a beach. We paid for this? Also the guide told us that the capital of Honduras is Roatan (it's Tegucigalpa) and even pointed out the 'president's' house' (it wasn't). She couldn't answer basic questions like the cost of an average home or the length of the school year. She just kept urging passengers to buy stuff so I imagine the tour company received a commission on sales. The ship's shore excursion director was horribly sympathetic but didn't refund our money, even though we left the 'tour' early to come back to the boat. The other shore excursions we took were fine. Less

Norwegian Star Cruises to the Western Caribbean

1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review

Norwegian Star Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?