Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by SnowBird Cruzer

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by SnowBird Cruzer
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: SnowBird Cruzer
Cruise Date: February 2013
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Great Getaway cruise. 1st timers had a great time
My MIL and FIL came to my wife and I last Spring after our last cruise and said they'd like to try a 5 day cruise. We got BIL and SIL to come along from San Diego too. From the post cruise comments, they all had a great time. And now they know what DW and I like so much.

FIL is handicapped, he gets around in a wheelchair. We've never cruised with a handicapped person, nor with 4 others. So this was new in many respects for us too.

We drove down from Wisconsin and arrived Sunday afternoon. We stayed at the Cambria Suites. It was a nice hotel, perhaps a little pricey. And the WiFi was out until Monday morning. We were on the 10am shuttle and once we arrived, we were able to get on the ship right away. Once we had made it through all the registration/SeaPass card etc areas. We had gotten all split up during this as DW and I were in a suite, MIL/FIL were handicapped and BIL/SIL were "normal". But we got together again before boarding. But then MIL/FIL were directed to the wheelchair assistance area as the gangway is at a steep angle. (I remember another reviewer who mentioned how difficult the gangway was with their health issue {knee/hip? replacement). We were asked if we wanted assistance and we took it. Perhaps this other person should have asked. If you have any mobility issues, ask for the assistance. The gangway is at a steep angle.

The accessible cabin MIL/FIL got was wonderful. It was as big as our suite with a wonderful accessible bathroom, complete with roll-in shower. The chair in the shower was very sturdy; much better than in the hotels on the drive down. RCCL deserves KUDOs for that. Everyone checked out each other's cabins. This was after lunch in the Windjammer. That was the only tough day getting the wheelchair around. In later days it was easy. Especially when we finally noticed the tables reserved for Handicapped access right at the entrance!

I've read numerous reviews and I'm not sure what people are expecting for food. 5 days a week I have a bowl of cold cereal and a glass of OJ for breakfast. I have leftovers or frozen dinners for lunch. Sometimes we make a nice dinner. That's daily life. I ate much better on the ship, I can tell you that. I've never been disappointed in the food onboard. But I'm no culinary critic either. Watermelon/Lychee soup? Campbell's doesn't make that.

We had breakfast in the Windjammer every day but one when we had Room Service the day we were in Labadee. I had never done Room Service before but BIL's suggestion was perfect. No rushing to eat in the Windjammer just so we can get off the ship for an excursion. The Windjammer food was great. It was hot, and fresh and tasty. I never had a made to order omelet because they are soo big. And I always get one just about everything anyway. Mostly fruit, breakfast potatoes and toast/english muffin.

We had lunch in the Windjammer too. There were lots of options at lunch time. A beef roast one day, some Thai noodles another day. DW and I did one lunch in Johnny Rockets. It was great. From 12 stories up, the dolphins we saw looked like trout or something. We ate outside. The dancing was done inside. :-(

Dinner was always in the MDR. The food was excellent. The new menu items are really good. They also offer some old standards everyday along with the changing items. You can also order for fee items, but we never did. The choices were too many. SIL had the cold soup appetizer and a cesaer salad every day. I had two desserts every day. FIL had 2 dinners the last day. I thought the quality was excellent and the portions were great too. I really don't try to add 10 pounds when I cruise, so I do try to eat healthy. At least healthier than at home. The service in the MDR was excellent as usual.

We never made it to Chops or Portifino (the fee restaurants). I never made it to Ben and Jerry's, which I've never eaten anyway. We barely had anything in the pizza restaurant (Sorretinos?) or Cafe Promenade. DW did say the regular coffee in Cafe Promenade was STRONG.

I had wanted to try the Flow Rider but I never made it. Too busy doing lots of other stuff. I did do the Rock Wall though. At 40' it is twice as high as the one at the youth club I volunteer at. But at 50, I made it to the top! Never played a round of mini golf. But DW and I did take Salsa lessons. We won twice at Trivia.

The Ice Show is wonderful as usual. I can't believe I didn't go to the one on Adventure of the Seas in 2009. The Up in the Air show was the best of the major shows. Outstanding. Do not miss it. Saturday Night Fever was fine. I've never seen the movie or a Broadway version so it was all new to me. The singing was fine; the dancing was fine too. But it wasn't my favorite. Plus, I was very tired by that late at night. Almost every night in fact. I was such a wuss on this trip. But I did end up thoroughly relaxed.

Departing was great. The wheelchair assistance had us off around 8am and we were back to the hotel and on the road by 9am.

Publication Date: 02/28/13