Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by pdprof

Member Name: pdprof
Cruise Date: February 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 4H
See More About: Carnival Breeze Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Breeze....BREEZY!!!
Where to start....We have travelled with Carnival for the last 6 years and we have been nothing but impressed with the service, entertainment and itineraries. When we saw a new itinerary that we hadn't travelled (on the new ship the BREEZE), we jumped at booking it. Overall, it was just an OK experience and I thought I'd give you some of my opinions on what I liked and didn't like vs. other Carnival cruises that I've been on.

1. Cruise Director - We love Butch...we cruised with him on the Liberty and he is alot of fun. Also, love the Morning Show at the Seaside Theatre on sea days.

2. Punchliner Comendy Shows - these were a big hit and often you had to stand in line for an hour to get into the next show or the seating would fill up. They used to do these shows in the big theatre and I would recommend they move to a location that is big enough for everyone to enjoy (of course, maybe these were so popular because the big shows were horrible).

3. Live BIG Shows (Latin, Divas..)- these new Laser version shows were horrendous. The singers couldn't sing and were often out of harmony. It was the worst shows that we have ever seen!!!! They need to go back to the Vegas style shows. I think they are trying to cut back on staff by doing these different type shows, but I saw many people getting up and leaving. The last show called "Motown" was actually the best of them and it was just a band that they had singing at other areas of the ship singing Motown hits on the stage (Consuela rocked it!)

4. Pool areas - Maybe other people like the new layout, but we hated it. I much prefer the tiered lounging vs. the shaded seating. Unless you were directly on the same level as the pool, you couldn't see what was going on. The adults loved the slides!

5. Food - Dining Room was great (loved Juan from El Salvador), my group enjoyed the Guy Fieri's Grill for burgers (line was often long), Blue Iguana was just ok if you wanted Burritos or Tacos, Pizza was just OK. Didn't try the Tandoori station as we are not big on Middle Eastern food. Overall, food was good.

6. Gym - seemed that they made this area much smaller and everything was crammed together. I much prefer the gym layouts on other ships (Liberty and Victory)

7. Track area - missed the cushiony surface, thought the additional weight machines were interesting. Didn't use the Basketball courts, but they always seemed busy. The rope obstacle course was scary, but also seemed busy with both kids and adults. The only negative here is that the back of the ship always had a sewer odor.

8. Sewer Odor - we smelled this odor at the back of the ship, while on the track, as well as by the Steakhouse/Punchliner lounge. When we asked the Capitain about it, he said it was the "food". I'm not buying it because we never had that disgusting smell on other ships.

9. Ship Decor - I will say that it was nice, but trendy. I think it's going to age itself quickly.

10. Promenade/Casino deck - we often enjoy hanging out along the Promenade and sitting playing cards or just relaxing with a drink. They have eliminated all the side bench seating on this ship and now, the only way to sit, is withing a smoky bar in the casino area, at a extra expense Sushi restaurant, or at the Red Frog Bar....no relaxing seating. Plus, I don't remember the Casino being a smoking area. You walked thru there and gagged every night!!!

11. Promenade Lougne area - they added area for lounging and two hot tubs on this floor - was a nice addition.

12. Motion of the Ocean - I don't know why, but I've seen other comments about this before we left for our trip and this ship seemed to rock more. I've been thru some storms on other ships and never was sea sick. This ship was horrible with the rocking (even in calm seas). Also, we kept hearing these loud banging and we were told it was the waves hitting the side of the boat. Sounds like it could be true, but I will tell you that I've never heard it on any of the other Carnival ships that we've been on.

13. Itinerary - well needless to say, we only got to stop at Dominican, Curacao and Aruba due to heavy winds the day we were to stop at Grand Turk. Instead, we got an extra day at sea in crappy weather. They closed three of the top decks, no water slide and super rocky and dreary that day. What good is a day at sea without sun!!! And then we only got a refund of $14 a person back for not being able to stop at one port of call.

I would say that this was close to one of my least favorite ships and cruises with Carnival!

Publication Date: 02/28/13