Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by pritbrit: Very Disappointed in Royal Carribean

pritbrit
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 2.7

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Very Disappointed in Royal Carribean

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

We have been on several cruises previously the last time we cruised with RCL was 1989 and it had been the best one of them all! Maybe because it was our 1st cruise that we were so impressed or maybe which I believe to be more likely it has just gone down hill from where it was at.

I'm not going to dwell on small issues as I read many reviews here on Cruise Critic before I left. I just want to point out the two that were the most disappointing to me.

The food in the Dining Room we thought was good, not fabulous like it usually is on other cruise lines but okay. The Windjammer on the other hand we thought was so repetitive, they basically had the same foods day after day. The pasta dish they just changed the type of pasta, one day shells, the next ziti etc. Everything just seemed to be the same nothing different so the food became boring. It was the same for breakfast however you can understand that as there are only so many different kinds of breakfast foods. More Only one omelette station created long lines and during lunch almost every day they ran out of either plates, silverware or ketchup!

The most disappointing part was they did not have enough activities. I am not one that needs to be constantly entertained however finding one thing to do on their daily sheet besides Bingo was difficult. When Monday came our first day out at sea and there was nothing to do I thought that it was a fluke and was hoping that on Friday and Saturday they would redeem themselves. Every other thing on the list was either something at the gym/spa or casino. After reading the days itinerary to my sister when I got back she said wow it sounds like you were on a health and wellness cruise. We were actually bored on the sea days. If you didn't want to spend money on jewelry making, bingo or a health service you basically had nothing to do. Having two days of not being able to use the pool since we sailed out of NJ I would have thought that they would have more inside activities, but I was wrong. Things they did in the evening were things that other cruise lines did during the day.

The evening entertainment was again, okay, nothing spectacular. The Ice show was very good and one of the people that they had on, but honestly nothing that I was overly impressed with.

To finish off the trip, we had a porter with a family that we were traveling with and we put our luggage together they had a duffel bag that looked like mine so when we got back to the car and realized that it was theirs and not mine I had to return to the luggage area. When I did I was then told that I needed to wait for every passenger to get off the ship before they could bring me back in to get my bag. Needless to say I waited over an hour to be guided into a back door and out through customs again which took less than 5 minutes. RCL handled this horribly! It was very frustrating sitting there.

I love cruising, to me there is no better vacation! I do have to say though that when we cruised Norwegian last year we had a much better experience all around. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

The cabins were okay, small like any other ship. The closet was spacious the bathroom was run down. The toilet had dark brown rings in it, rust on the bathroom floor in the corners. The carpet and couch in the room had stains on them big ones not small ones, it just seemed aged.

CocoCay was a nice private island that they have. We would recommend some more lounge chairs or advise people to get off early if they want one.
Read 231 CocoCay Reviews

Nassau was nice, we did some walking and shopping when we first got off the boat and then took a cab to Atlantis. We were able to walk around and see the property and the aquariums and were there for a few hours, it was very nice.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

Having a stop in Pt. Canaveral really wasn't worth it. You really only have less than 6 hours in the theme park if you choose that and its really not worth it. We got a cab to Cocoa Beach and had the afternoon at the beach however they take the chairs back at 5:00 so it didn't give us much time.