Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by pritbrit

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by pritbrit
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: pritbrit
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: E2
See More About: Explorer of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        10-12 2.0
        13-15 3.0
        16+ 3.0

Very Disappointed in Royal Carribean
We have been on several cruises previously the last time we cruised with RCL was 1989 and it had been the best one of them all! Maybe because it was our 1st cruise that we were so impressed or maybe which I believe to be more likely it has just gone down hill from where it was at.

I'm not going to dwell on small issues as I read many reviews here on Cruise Critic before I left. I just want to point out the two that were the most disappointing to me.

The food in the Dining Room we thought was good, not fabulous like it usually is on other cruise lines but okay. The Windjammer on the other hand we thought was so repetitive, they basically had the same foods day after day. The pasta dish they just changed the type of pasta, one day shells, the next ziti etc. Everything just seemed to be the same nothing different so the food became boring. It was the same for breakfast however you can understand that as there are only so many different kinds of breakfast foods. Only one omelette station created long lines and during lunch almost every day they ran out of either plates, silverware or ketchup!

The most disappointing part was they did not have enough activities. I am not one that needs to be constantly entertained however finding one thing to do on their daily sheet besides Bingo was difficult. When Monday came our first day out at sea and there was nothing to do I thought that it was a fluke and was hoping that on Friday and Saturday they would redeem themselves. Every other thing on the list was either something at the gym/spa or casino. After reading the days itinerary to my sister when I got back she said wow it sounds like you were on a health and wellness cruise. We were actually bored on the sea days. If you didn't want to spend money on jewelry making, bingo or a health service you basically had nothing to do. Having two days of not being able to use the pool since we sailed out of NJ I would have thought that they would have more inside activities, but I was wrong. Things they did in the evening were things that other cruise lines did during the day.

The evening entertainment was again, okay, nothing spectacular. The Ice show was very good and one of the people that they had on, but honestly nothing that I was overly impressed with.

To finish off the trip, we had a porter with a family that we were traveling with and we put our luggage together they had a duffel bag that looked like mine so when we got back to the car and realized that it was theirs and not mine I had to return to the luggage area. When I did I was then told that I needed to wait for every passenger to get off the ship before they could bring me back in to get my bag. Needless to say I waited over an hour to be guided into a back door and out through customs again which took less than 5 minutes. RCL handled this horribly! It was very frustrating sitting there.

I love cruising, to me there is no better vacation! I do have to say though that when we cruised Norwegian last year we had a much better experience all around.

Publication Date: 02/28/13
Read the Bahamas ports review by pritbrit
More Explorer of the Seas Cruise Reviews