Star Princess Cruise Review by Vonlon

Embarkation: other
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: AD
Cabin Number: D202
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Machu Picchu and South America
Our holiday started in Peru with the main attraction being Machu Picchu and we weren't disappointed. Although I didn't expect to be affected with altitude sickness in cusco resulting in an overnight stay in their medical centre. A drip in my arm and oxygen on tap worked wonders, I felt fine in the morning so was able to join the tour we had planned. The tour company was Condor and they were brilliant, luckily they provided medical insurance for alt sickness so I didn't have to pay a penny. They were really well organised I definitely would recommend them our guide was George he was great.

After 5 nights in Peru we flew to Santiago for 2 nights a bit of a mix up with tour groups but we eventually arrived at our hotel, we were still with the same tour company but they didn't seem to be as organised as their Peruvian colleagues. The following day we had a city tour, nice city but not that much to see.

The next day we transferred to the port, no queues we were straight on the ship. First impressions I thought the ship looked a little tired but maybe I am being a bit picky. Cabin was nice and roomy with a bath which was great but this is the first time we have had a cabin near the front of the ship and I did feel the rocking of the ship a lot more in our cabin., so definitely mid ship next time.

We dined in the portofino dining room the food was mediocre and we found the food quite poor in the horizon buffet.

We didn't go to any shows and thought the entertainment on board quite poor, but did enjoy movies under the stars. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

The highlight of our cruise should have been the Falklands but unfortunately it was too windy to use the tender boats. My favourite port was puerto montt there isn't much to see in the port but we booked a tour with GV tours which took us to the Lake District and some lovely villages it was beautiful.

P.S. if you decide to go to Peru I recommend you do this pre cruise it is quite tiring.

Publication Date: 02/28/13