Star Princess Cruise Review by Vonlon: Machu Picchu and South America

Machu Picchu and South America

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Other

Our holiday started in Peru with the main attraction being Machu Picchu and we weren't disappointed. Although I didn't expect to be affected with altitude sickness in cusco resulting in an overnight stay in their medical centre. A drip in my arm and oxygen on tap worked wonders, I felt fine in the morning so was able to join the tour we had planned. The tour company was Condor and they were brilliant, luckily they provided medical insurance for alt sickness so I didn't have to pay a penny. They were really well organised I definitely would recommend them our guide was George he was great.
After 5 nights in Peru we flew to Santiago for 2 nights a bit of a mix up with tour groups but we eventually arrived at our hotel, we were still with the same tour company but they didn't seem to be as organised as their Peruvian colleagues. The following day we had a city tour, nice city but not that much to see.
The next day we transferred to the port, no queues we were straight on the More ship. First impressions I thought the ship looked a little tired but maybe I am being a bit picky. Cabin was nice and roomy with a bath which was great but this is the first time we have had a cabin near the front of the ship and I did feel the rocking of the ship a lot more in our cabin., so definitely mid ship next time.
We dined in the portofino dining room the food was mediocre and we found the food quite poor in the horizon buffet.
We didn't go to any shows and thought the entertainment on board quite poor, but did enjoy movies under the stars. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
The highlight of our cruise should have been the Falklands but unfortunately it was too windy to use the tender boats. My favourite port was puerto montt there isn't much to see in the port but we booked a tour with GV tours which took us to the Lake District and some lovely villages it was beautiful.
P.S. if you decide to go to Peru I recommend you do this pre cruise it is quite tiring. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Emerald Deck D202

Quiet location but I did feel the rocking of the ship more as it was fwd and not mid ship. Balcony overlooked by everyone above you. Plenty of storage space Nice to have a bath but they still have those awful shower curtains

This is where we disembarked, the port authorities delayed us docking by approx 3 hours which caused chaos for princess. Luckily we were staying for 2 nights but lots of passengers had flights booked. We had a city tour included in our package? The city is quite tatty some nice buildings but not looked after. It is quite nice on the river front where it has recently been refurbished, but i wouldn't rush back here. Traffic is a nightmare, luckily it was a bank holiday when we did our tour so the roads were extremely quiet. We also had a tango show and dinner included it was ok. They were in the middle of a heat wave which resulted in power cuts in the city (due to power surge for air conditioning) luckily our hotel had a generator but it couldn't support the air conditioning so rather warm.

We enjoyed it here we went on a city tour with one of the locals, we were told the mini bus had air con - it didn't - and it was a tatty old minibus but the guide made up for it. There's a lovely bay at the posh end where the casino is.

Don't stay in the port venture out to the Lake District.

Skywalk in the Forest

(2)
Short chair lift ride up a hill and then walked back down. Nice views but not worth the money.

GUTTED! We didn't make it due to bad weather. We had pre booked a tour with Patrick watts and was hoping to see lots of penguins.
Read 57 Stanley Reviews

We got a taxi to terra del fuego. The taxi driver didn't speak much English but he took us around the park and stopped at the main attractions. I think it was US$160 we were there approx 3 hours Apparently the train ride excursion (with princess) was a 'rip off' I know of one passenger who complained and rec'd a partial refund.
Read 99 Ushuaia Reviews