Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by dmwalker613: Our Bahamas trip on the Sky

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Our Bahamas trip on the Sky

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Bahamas Cruise - Feb. 18-22 - In Nassau, a beautiful port, we were across from two other ships, a Carnival and a German cruise ship. When it was time for us to board, as always a crew from our ship of about 20 were out there dancing in two lines, with a guy on stilts, and they were playing great music loud, and everyone who came through from our ship danced their way through it - think Gangnam Style and similar songs. It was awesome. There were hundreds of people on each ship watching from above. Their ship didn't have the fun dancing. They were jealous, I could tell. lol. When they all pulled out an hour later, it was fun waving to everyone on the other ships and some people would dance on their balconies, and we'd do the same dance back to see if they spotted us. Fun times.

Our cruise was beautiful, awesome weather. Freeport was fun because my husband and one daughter rented a scooter to drive to the beach. My other daughter and I took a taxi. It was a long way with lots More of turns, and I thought they would get lost. The people are so nice there that three times locals flagged them down making sure they weren't lost and they told them the right way to go.

We went to the beach and rented jet skis from the locals. It was great fun.

The next day, the Nassau port is absolutely beautiful. The locals there are very aggressive selling their things, and trying to get you to go on tours. We did go on a two hour tour with a guy named Henry. Five of us for only $80. It was a great tour. We went to the Atlantis for half an hour to take pictures, he took us through the hood, middle class and upper class neighborhoods, some beautiful beaches, etc. Then at the end he dropped half our group off at Junkanoo Beach, which is very pretty, and the other half back near the ship.

Each night the entertainment on the Sky was great. We watched the 9:30 show every night. My teen daughters LOVED the shows too - a very funny juggler/comedian, and a Frankie Vallie Tribute band - they were awesome. And a comedian on the first night. He was great.

The food was fine - I liked Carnival's a little better when we went a few years ago, but we didn't go to any specialty restaurants on the Sky. I think the Sky's desserts in the main dining room could be better. They need a signature dessert the way Carnival has their warm chocolate melting cake.

Our last day at Great Stirrup Cay was great too. It's crowded but it doesn't matter, we didn't get there until around 1:00 and we still found some lounge chairs because some people were already leaving to go back. The water was so pretty.

And...let me tell you...the white hot party was amazing. It is so much fun. It's by the pool on Wednesday night (for the Mon-Fri cruise) and people of all ages were dancing, teens up to older people. Most were twenties to forties, but there were teens up to 60's dancing. There were a bunch up on stage and every few minutes someone would get out in front on the stage and show their dance moves and everyone would hoot and holler. It was really great. Bring white to wear, but if you don't have white, that's OK, they still let you dance! Or just sit aside and watch - it's great people watching.

My teen daughters made some good friends and met up with them each night. There weren't a whole lot of kids at the teen club the first night, but I guess the shy ones got brave and went the last few nights because there were many other kids the last night.

Oh, and we had a balcony which was so amazing. We will never go back to a room without a balcony now. We kept the door open all night, with the drape closed, so we got fresh air all night, and it wasn't loud at all. The balcony was bigger than we thought.

As for the ship, it was good enough for us. It was fine. The crew was very nice, our room was very clean. The great weather and fun at the ports helped it to be an amazing cruise! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky Balcony Stateroom Fjord Deck 9220

Our room was great, real quiet, loved the balcony.