Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by traveleroftheworld

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by traveleroftheworld
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: traveleroftheworld
Cruise Date: February 2013
Cabin Category: GS
        13-15 5.0
        16+ 5.0

Wonderful time on a huge ship
We went with a large group of 43, including adults and children (about 12 families). We had planned this trip 8 months in advance, which gave us ample time to reserve shows and land excursions. We had "My Time Dining" which means that you have to reserve a time to have dinner every night, and it can vary from night to night. I recommend this option for large groups like ours, because if a certain nigh one of the families was going to one of the specialty restaurants those spaces weren't just left empty at the dinner table. The waiters were very accommodating, letting us have separate tables for the children, tweens, teens and adults. On the first day my friends with children in carriages who needed to use the elevators to go from place to place were frustrated because the elevators were packed and they had to wait a while to catch one. We didn't have that issue because we used the stairs all the time. By the second day it seemed a lot of people had found their way around using the stairs and the elevators were less crowded. If you have "my time dining" it means that in Oasis you have dinner every night on deck 5; if you have a specific sitting then your dinner may be on either deck 4 or 3. However for lunch the only one of the dining rooms open is the one on Deck 3. Other options for lunch are the Windjammer, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Solarium Bistro and Johnny Rockets. There is also a seafood place, an italian restaurant, etc. There are so many different places to eat that we weren't able to try them all in a week. Some of these are included and some are not. If you stay in a suite you can order from room service the same items that they have in the main dining room. If you are not staying in a suite you have a reduced menu for room service. For breakfast Johnny Rockets is an excellent option serving eggs a la carte. The concierge lounge in Oasis is very big, and serves breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack. If you get the Coca Cola package you will always be served from the soda fountain machines, never from a can. If you have a fridge in your room and you take a can of coke you have to pay 2.56 for it even if you had the soda package.

Entertainment was great in this ship. Oasis of dreams is a show with professional divers and acrobats. Hairspray is a Broadway quality production, and Frozen in time has professional ice skaters. I didn't see the comedy show but I heard it was really good too. My teen aged children enjoyed The Quest which is a game show. And the "love and marriage" game show was also very entertaining. The land excursions that we went to were good, except sometimes we had to wait about 20 minutes for the ride to arrive to go wherever the activity was taking place. We particularly liked the Segway tour in St Maarten, and it was right there close to where the ship was docked. In St.Thomas the majority of activities are very far from the ship. My son was a big fan of the arcade at Oasis. He spent almost $200 in the week. We went to customer service on day 1 and ask for a restriction on the amount he could charge the ship card and that "stop" did not work. He knew we had done this so he kept using his card allegedly thinking he hadn't arrived at his "limit". Internet is super expensive. Try not to use it at all if possible. Each of my two daughters spent more than $100 on internet service. One word of advice, if you think you might purchase photos at the ship, let them take lots and lots of pictures of you because the better deal is just getting the CD with all the photos that costs $350.00. If not you have to pay like $20 for each photo and if you have a family like I do each person wants three or four. So it's better to just go with the flow and have tons of pictures taken and at the end just get the CD and ask for it early, the photo people are very disorganized, they made me go three times for my CD. If you're going to choose one of the specialty restaurants to go to I'd recommend Chefs Table or Izumi if you really like sushi. The food at the main dining room does become boring after a while. In our trip the second formal night was the lobster night at the dining room. So don't go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. You'll miss the best dinners of the main dining room. We had radios with us to communicate but they weren't so effective because the ship was so big. They rent phones in the ship for $30 each you can use during the trip. I highly recommend the "All Access Tour" where they take you behind the scenes, it is very interesting. For example, in this tour we learned that the ship has two engine sections so if one catches fire, the other half of the engines can still be used. The times when I felt there was a lot of people were when we had to stand in lines for X rays before re-embarkation at ports and for disembarkation. The rest of the time it wasn't crowded.

There is one bad experience we had and this was that my daughter who is studying music and is a wonderful singer enrolled in the "Karaoke Superstar Competition" on board which was open to young people her age and adults. She was among the finalists and at the final round on the last day of the crew they announced that the prize was a bottle of champaign, and my daughter got eliminated from the competition.
Publication Date: 02/28/13