Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by ritz1030: First Time Cruiser: Impressed

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Southern Caribbean Cruises

First Time Cruiser: Impressed

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

The Equinox is an elegant ship. Service was fantastic: bartenders, cleaning crew, shop girls, entertainment personel, officers, everyone says hello and smiles. The decor of all the areas is impressive. The comfort of the seating areas is very good. The food in MDR, called the Sihloette, is very good. I would give it 4 1/2 stars, on choices, taste and service. The buffet for breakfast is great, for lunch, I preferred to just have the in room food, unless i wanted pizza from the buffet. I would find a table first and put some rolled up napkin and a drink so I would have somewhere to sit when i came back with my food.
The musical entertainment was top notch, the solo guitarist and the string trio were my faves and played everyday, different times of the day. The theater shows were good, loved the comedians, British singer, and the pianist. I took 3 dance classes, they were good, would have taken more but the others were on the pool deck and it was just too hot to be out More there. I joined some trivia games in the bar areas, that was fun. I was with a group of 10, where half didnt speak english, so I felt that there should have been more activities where language wasnt a barrier. Perhaps a painting class, or archery. I joined bingo at 20 dollars for 4 games, that was ok. I really enjoyed the hot glass show, lots of explanations, however i ran out of things to do and saw the show 3 times (2 hrs). Being from Florida, I really didnt care to lay out for sun rays, so I kept looking for more things to do. Casino slots were so tight. Being in my late thirties, I felt the cruise was geared towards people over sixty and sun worshipers. Oh, I didnt join the excusions onboard bc they were too expensive, I hired a driver for 10 and took city tours for less than half the ship price. I felt Cartagena was the best stop, beautiful clean city both old and new section. I gained about 7 pounds on this trip. Just to let you know the pastries and tea time sandwiches at Cafe el Baccio are free, dont need to buy coffee to have them. The Crepe place was very good. The Londbroil panini was superb. Before I forget the art auction staff were good, friendly and a joy to speak with. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (9) 9168

9168 was a good room. It was located in the front of the ship, on the same floor as the card room. I only heard and felt the ships motor once and just a bit. I didnt have a window, wish I did. Basic room, comfy. Now my friends were on the 7th in the back of the ship with the full glass window, but they felt the motors terribly when they would start up and that was in my opinion unbearable. I did feel like the people above me were like a stampede but I would think it just depends on people and their walking habits. We were tucked away off a turn in the hallway.

City Tour

(5.5)
Great port with tropical birds to take pictures with and they were just walking around, beautiful landscaping and that was just the port. Hired a driver there are severeral there to hire a private van, and we saw the old Cartagena and walked thru and saw shops and a church or two and stopped for drinks and to cool off. There are lots of street vendors they are a bit aggressive but they arent scary and do give you good deals on stuff. Went to an emerald museum and shop. Nice, elegeant shop and bought some emerald earrings with authenticity papers and got a great deal on them. Saw a bit of the new Cartagena, its a well advanced city, clean, organized. The best by far to visit. Its just blazing hot there.

Panama Canal Tour

(5)
Hired a driver for private tour for about 15 p.p. very nice, informative, comfy a.c. van, went to Canal for about an hour, that was a nice site. Stopped and saw a yatch club and where the U.S. used to be for military housing. The big disappointment was the center of Colon and its shanty town, that was a gross site, and that the cruise took us on a Sunday which meant the Merchant zone was closed for shopping. Phone calls and internet is super cheap here and easy to find and use. Bought a calling card at the supermarket (super clean) and spoke to the U.S. for 1 hour for a dollar.

Just took a taxi van to the beach called Yaya beach for like 5 dollars p.p. round trip with my group of 10. What a sad 10 minute drive there isnt anything there. Once we got to the walkway tried finding an internet cafe or phone center. No luck, all being remodeled. So sat at a restaurant on the beach, hired a singer and he played for us for 90 minutes and had some drinks.. It was so hot there. The shops at the port were good, reasonable prices for souvenirs. Price for soda was nuts at 5 dollars a can, and coconuts at 6 dollars. Beer was cheapest at about 4 dollars a bottle.

City Tour

(4)
Glad I paid a fraction of the cost by booking on my own, just wasnt really anything to see in Cozumel, unless you went to snorkel.

Walked around to see the various jewelry stores. No pushy street vendors at all. Stopped at Hard Rock for drink and cool off. Other half of group went to see the turtles for half an hour. That excusion for them was an hour and cost them 22 dol per person bc the entrance fee was 10 dollars. The water there is amazing, turquois color and the fish were right there. Internet and phone calls were easy to find, not as cheap as other places but still reasonable.