First the positives:
- ship is excellent and kept in very good condition
- food in the formal restaurants is good with many choices (and once you get the waiters attention at breakfast you CAN get what you want from the menu)
- staff generally are good (with some exceptional) but look overworked and are not well led by the management team and the policies in place
- the additional "drinks package" is good value for money
Unfortunately the above are more than offset by the major negatives
- food in the buffet restaurant poor quality (but you do not have to eat there)
- the smoking policy needs reviewing, the majority of the public areas on deck 5 were overwhelmed by smoke, making the majority of it a no-go area for none-smokers. Allowing people to smoke indoors ANYWHERE on the ship is madness in this day and age but not enforcing the none-smoking areas exacerbates the problem, the air conditioning could not cope in the public areas. From an economic persprective it must be cosing Costa money by making the majority of the revenue earning areas of the ship off-limits to the majority of it's passengers?
- noise pollution, sitting in one bar and being able to hear music from the 2 bars either side of it is just plain stupid and makes a nonsense of having capable musicians in any area as they struggle to be heard over competing entertainment from other areas. Similarly, repeated complaints about noise from a bar 2 decks below fell on deaf ears, so no sleep till 2am 5 nights out of 7.
- Children in adult areas, this has been mentioned in other reviews so I will not dwell on it here but it is a REAL problem, with staff seemingly ignoring the problem or not being allowed to implement policy.
In summary, lot's of potential and good value offset by bad management and catering to the minority rather than the majority of their customers will inevitably lead to people going elsewhere.