Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by argh: Mardi Gras Getaway on Navigator

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Mardi Gras Getaway on Navigator

Sail Date: February 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans

Ship: Navigator of the Seas..Date: Feb 9th 2013. Port: New Orleans.
This was our first cruise out of the Port of New Orleans. Normally we go out of Port Canaveral, but because we live closer to New Orleans we decided to try it.
My wife had sailed on Navigator before, but I had not. We have only sailed on Royal Caribbean, because we have always had excellent results..in other words, "if it isn't broke don't fix it..". Once again Royal Caribbean lived up to our expectations.

Port: Because Mardi Gras was still happening in New Orleans, the directions given to us for Port Parking were slightly incorrect. I felt this was not Royal Caribbean's fault but the city of New Orleans for not giving the last minute changes to Royal Caribbean. For normal departure dates..directions are right on.
The New Orleans port is more congested than say Port Canaveral but even then I felt the process went relatively smoothly. I recommend you arrive to board around 10 am..Later you More might have some waits..Overall good job..

Condition of the Ship: The Ship was in excellent condition and I never saw any trash etc laying around. All areas very clean and I saw no areas needing repair.

Room: We always book a promenade room, and we did here. We knew what to expect from our two sailings on Freedom of the Seas and our rooms were exactly what we had on Freedom. Very clean and nothing need of repair. Bathroom was excellent and we had no issues..Size of our room was exactly what we had on Freedom.

Ships Personnel: Excellent and very Friendly. Many times I always had a crew member say good morning or hi before I could. I could tell they enjoyed their work.

Dining: Navigator had just changed their menus a few days prior to our sailing and I must admit..I really enjoyed the selections. We ate all our evening meals in the main dining room and always did lunch in one of the dining rooms rather than the Windjammer. All our meals were excellent.. We had no complaints about the food on Navigator. We also experienced Johnny Rockets and once again the crew members serving this area were fun and enjoyable.
(one observation: My wife sensed that the dining room personnel were rather new and were "learning the ropes", however, not to the point that our service was ever compromised. Excellent Service..and Food...Portions were more than abundant..We ate one meal in the Windjammer and found it to be good. My wife prefers to not do the "buffet thing"..

Drinks: Excellent and felt prices comparable to what you would find in any bar in the U.S. Gratuity always included in the price of your drink. Beer selections were excellent. For those of you who enjoy wine..I would recommend you buy one of the wine selections and once you purchase..go ahead and reserve your bottles. If you wait to choose your bottle at every meal you may run the risk of that selection being sold out..We saw this with our dining companions.

Entertainment: Outstanding: If you have never seen Kenny James then you must.
This gentleman put on a show that was unbelievable. All other shows excellent and enjoyable. 70's night on the Promenade was fun and rousing..

Shore Excursions: Ports of Call: Falmouth Jamaica..Gran Caymans and Cozumel.
Falmouth is a rather new port and we only did a bus tour to Montego Bay..
Gran Caymans..Loved walking around and shopping.. Enjoyed the atmosphere of Georgetown..Margaritaville in the Cayman's was fun..
Cozumel: Had fun within the port area and for those who want to party..Senor Frog right their within the port area.. Just look for the water tower with the XX on it..
The Cruise lines have done a wonderful job of developing an excellent, and clean environment at their immediate port areas at both Falmouth and Cozumel.. Shopping within these areas was excellent and you can bargain. I would not recommend walking on your own outside of the immediate port shopping area at Falmouth. Cozumel and Caymans OK do so..

Overall: Outstanding Cruise and Ship. Once again Royal Caribbean did not disappoint and we will be back.. Our next ship: Oasis or Allure..
We have sailed on Royal Caribbean 8 times and have never been disappointed.
We have sailed on Monarch..Freedom..and Navigator..We look forward to the Oasis or Allure..For those of you concerned about the sailing down the Mississippi..it was fun.. When you awake after your first night you will be in the Gulf of Mexico. It was fun on the return to go to the bow of the ship at night as we entered the Mississippi.. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 8581

Promenade Room: Room number 8581. Mid-ship. Good size closet..quiet location and loved the comfortable bed. Bathroom had excellent size..Safe in closet. Our room excellent for two adults..Our third time booking one of these rooms and have always enjoyed it.. Just be careful about booking one next to a service room..