Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by pequita: Outstanding staff but food was not.

pequita
Member Since 2010

Outstanding staff but food was not.

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Transatlantic

This was my seventh transatlantic sailing and I know what to expect. I saw this cruise on Carnival and the price was good so I booked it using my personal vacation planner at Carnival. I am a platinum sailor and very familiar with Carnival.

Boarding was a breeze and there we no lines at all. Went directly to my outside stateroom which was nice and big, clean and updated.

We had nine sea days in a row before the first stop. The library almost immediately ran out of books but I had brought some paperbacks. Entertainment means alot to me so I was looking forward to the nightly shows which turned out to be a little disappointing. Instead of getting entertainers to do the nightly shows, they used the comedians already on board to do some of the shows and had guests sing almost like Karaoke on stage. The two on board production show were good though. Once we got to out first port, they brought on some professional singers which was very welcomed by all the More guest.

The food on the lido deck was never hot. Warm at the most. When I told the supervisor about the problem he said he would look into it but I never got a hot meal. The quality of food was sometimes poor, like the thinnest bacon I have ever seen and the watery oatmeal that looked more like soup.

The main dinning room food was good but really never hot like I would expect. The dinner menu was very interesting with the combinations of food they used to make some dishes....potato chips on baked escargot, green apples in the stuffing, and things that seemed like they were putting leftovers together to make a dish and giving it a fancy name. I never went hungry but I have never had food like this on any Carnival ship.

There was not any thermostats in the room so when the days got cooler I had to get a blanket for the bed and turn the air all the way off. The room was still cold with no way to get heat. The room steward even wore a coat when servicing the rooms.

Every Night they cluttered up the nice promenade deck with the endless lineup of backdrops to get your picture taken. This went on every night and made it hard to get around on the fifth deck. If you did not get your picture taken and the first seven days, why would you want to get it taken on the other twelve?

Overall, I had an OK time but I will leave my transatlantic to Holland America and RCL and save Carnival for the week long cruises. Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>