Ocean Princess Cruise Review by ohwiseman

Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: South Pacific
Cabin Category: AA
See More About: Ocean Princess Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Ocean Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ocean Princess Deck Plans
Great cruise, but with flaws.
This was a 10 day cruise from Tahiti visiting 5 other nearby islands. We booked our flights through Princess and they put us on Air Tahiti Nui. The flight to Tahiti left LAX about noon and arrived about 8:00 PM. Our return flight was at 9:50 PM. Do the math, that is 13 hours and 50 minutes after leaving the cabin. Princess told me we would be allowed to stay on board and enjoy everything that we normally do. They were correct. After conferring with other passengers, we were not offered the option of staying at the Tahiti Intercontinental Hotel before our return flight like other passengers on the cruise was offered. We would have liked to stay off ship rather on board for an extra 10 hours trying to find things to do. We were not allowed back into our cabins. We took an island drive shore excursion to burn up time so it was not that bad.

Cabin steward - probably the best throughout the cruise line. You couldn't ask for a better steward.

Breakfast in the dining room - Very nice, but the choice was somewhat limited due to ordering from a menu.

Lunch - Very good selection and very well presented. The wait staff was the best.

Evening dining - Outstanding selection and very well presented. Every item I ordered was excellent. On this cruise, I had the very best surf and turf I have ever had. The wait staff was the best.

Hair Dresser - It was overpriced. $39 for a wash and blow dry. My wife actually looked better going in than when she came out.

Wine Tasting - I do not think it was worth the money. For $25.00 you get to sample 6 wines and Champaign. You would think that at the end, you could at least get a full glass of your favorite; but NO, that was not included. Never again will I do this; I felt cheated when I left.

Whatever you do, do not accept cabin 8059. It takes forever; I mean forever, to get hot water. I called it in two times and both times someone came and looked at it. I found out on the last visit, that the water heater was on deck 1 and it is a long way to my cabin on deck 8. I finally figured out that you start to plan on a bath or shower at least 10 minutes before. You need to start the hot water in both the tub and sink and just let them run. If showering, you let the sink run all the time; otherwise the shower will get cold.

Whatever you do, do not accept a cabin where the food court is directly above; unless you enjoy getting waken up at four in the morning; every morning. The carts they use make noise when they roll on the ceramic tile above. Refuse these cabins.

"R" rated movies are only shown on TV between the hours of 10:30PM and 6:00AM. Must be because of "the children" on board which I only counted 2. Way to go Princess.

Luggage delivery when we arrived was very speedy; not like most cruises where it takes a half a day.

Shipboard account statements are available for printing at a kiosk by the reception desk. This is the first time I have seen this and is a very good idea.

Overall this cruise was very, very good and I plan on taking future cruises with Princess. They are very much customer focused and they met and sometimes exceeded my expectations. I have been an owner of Princess (through Carnival - ticker CCL). I like the on board ship credits given to me by owning the common stock and also shipboard credits for being a military veteran.

Publication Date: 02/23/13