Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Manatee2013: Pleasantly Surprised First Timer on the Jewel of the Seas

Manatee2013
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Pleasantly Surprised First Timer on the Jewel of the Seas

Sail Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

I say "first timer" because I don't really remember my first cruise as a teenager - except being REALLY sick. Hence, I had NO desire to cruise again, but my husband surprised me with an anniversary/birthday/valentine's day cruise. I was assured the newer ships are much better and more stable and he booked a balcony close to mid-ship. For safe measure, I wore accupuncture wrist bands. Either I didn't need them, or they were magic. I didn't give being sick a second thought and truly enjoyed the cruise.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship, more on the "elegant" side than the "party" side in terms of decor. All the glass around the Centrum and various public spaces helped eliminate any claustrophobic tendancies I may have had. Our room was compressed, of course, but roomy enough and I loved all the hidden little storage areas. Our steward had no problem keeping our ice replenished and who doesn't love towel animals? There was a good mix of lounges for different tastes. I like More that it wasn't one of the jumbo ships, as it seemed more manageable to get from point a to point b and I don't think I would have wanted even more people around. Although there were over 2000 passangers, I don't think I ever felt over-crowded, except in Grand Cayman waiting for the tender to shore. I would say the shows were entertaining, but not the broadway caliber they are hyped to be. I didn't expect them to be, though, so that was not a disappointment. I would highly recommend catching the "Love & Marriage" game show. It was hysterical. Of course, that would depend on the participants and host, but Dennis the cruise director on our cruise made it laugh-out-loud funny! We upgraded to the Italian Restaurant one night (Portofino) and it was delicious and worth it. The food in the main dining room was good, as well. Not amazing, but better than what you usually get for mass produced meals, and more than plentiful as you can order as many apps, entress, or desserts as you like. It is a great chance to try something you may have been wanting to try but haven't wanted to pay for in case you don't like it. I think the buffet food at the Windjammer was just OK, but lots of options. We loved that they monitor the lounge chairs at the pool so that if someone is holding a seat and hasn't shown up for 30 minutes they clear it for someone else. It made it easier to be able to get a chair.

There were not a lot of children (which was nice, since we left ours home), but it was very family friendly and I would definitely think about taking my kids on an RC cruise if we didn't want to spend extra for Disney. As one family pointed out, their kids could ride the slide over and over, while on Disney they would probably have to wait in line with tons of others. (I may be swayed by the "when you wish upon a star" horn they have, though!)

One negative would be the price of the pictures they take. $20 each or $200 for the package. After shelling out money for an expensive vacation, you hate to add more for good pics, and picking a couple is hard!

For excursions, we chose to do our own thing in Grand Cayman and just took a taxi to 7 Mile Beach and rented snorkel gear then went back to town to browse the stores. Given the short time we were in port, this worked out perfectly. Our best day was in Cozumel and I would highly recommend going to Chankanaab, which is where some of the dolphin excursions happen (you can go without doing the dolphin swim, but the dolphin "push, pull, swim" was great - plenty of interaction and bonus manatees). The beach is beautiful and they have a pool, kid friendly beach, sea lion show and botantical gardens. We walked further down the beach to the left and ate at a less crowded restaurant (Bucaneros). They also deliver to the plentiful (free) beach chairs nearby. The dive shacks near there seemed to be negotiable on price for snorkel gear and my husband got an amazing deal on a dive with just him and a guide. The lockers were free and the facilities were clean, also. The whole atmosphere was relaxing and pretty. When we got back to town we wandered into a nice resort right near the port(El Cid) for cocktails overlooking the ships in port. It was a great day! We were grateful for the covered Solarium pool on our last day, as it was a little misty out and having this option made it possible to still have a relaxing pool day.

To sum it up, the ship was clean and pretty and just the right size, while the food was better than average and plentiful. The entertainment was entertaining enough, the fruity drinks were great, and Chankanaab made Cozumel our best day. I don't think we had any complaints and would definitely cruise on the Jewel and/or Royal Caribbean again! Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
I loved the Dolphin "Push, Pull & Swim" at Chankanaab. We booked via the cruise line after researching doing it separately, as it was essentially the same price and we like the added security of knowing it was linked to the cruise. The experince was great, with plenty of interaction with the dolphins in only a group of 10 people. I loved petting the manatees, also. Even more, though, we loved the park itself, as the beach was beautiful The also have a pool, kid friendly beach area, sea lion show and botanical gardens. We walked down to the left to a less crowded restaurant and the beach had plenty of free beach chairs. The dive shacks nearby had reasonable (and sometimes negotiable) snorkel prices, and my husband got a great price on a spur-of-the-moment dive. He went out alone with a guide twice and got pictures for the same price as the cruise line sponsored excursion. We wandered into a nice resort back near the port (El Cid) and enjoyed drinks overlooking the ships docked nearby and then haggled with a vendor for a little Valentine's Day bobble for me :) Cozumel was great!

We were only in port a short time, and as I told my husband, I don't think on a short (5 day) cruise to two ports it is really about the ports. As you don't necessarily get to see much of the island, it is hard to have a good opinion. Some of the excursions might have given others better exposure to more areas. However, we chose not to do an excursion there. We grabbed a taxi to 7 Mile Beach and rented snorkel gear. Our first spot was OK, but when we walked down to a reef area (near Tiki Beach) we saw many more types of fish. The port is typical with lots of jewelry stores and trinket shops (and banks to get your money out to fund your shopping!)I rated it a 3 because it was fine, but nothing different or great that we saw. (It was pretty to see the 6 ships anchored off the coast, though)