Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by libbyfinkb: What a let down

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean Cruises

What a let down

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was my 4th cruise and my 2nd with Carnival. All I have to say was this cruise was quite a let down. I was looking forward to this vacation for quite a few months and was very disappointed to what I experienced.

Embarkation was a nightmare. My family's luggage was lost 2 or 3 times and the air conditioning was broken in the terminal, and it was about 100 degrees. Everyone was miserable and security was very impatient. It took us about 2 and a half hours to get from the bus to the ship.

The food in the Posh dining room was just average, nothing more. Every time I ordered meat, it was very dry and needed to be sent back at least twice. After the 5th night I just stuck with the pasta or vegetarian dishes. Presentation was also messy. The food in the Freedom Restaurant wasn't much better. Often times it was cold and anything that could be hard and or crunchy, was just that. My diet on the ship consisted of omelettes, pasta, and sandwiches.

The cabin was nice, More and it was well kept. The size was better than on RCI, but the bathroom was about the same. The shower was bigger though, so that was a plus. The view from the balcony was nice, but our noisy neighbors ruined the sereneness. The main complaint I have is the cabin walls are very thin, so you can hear people screaming in the hallway at ungodly hours of the morning, yet the doors are very heavy and hard to open. That confused me. Our steward was from the Turks and Caicos, I don't remember his name because it was very long, but he did a good job of keeping the cabin clean.

My biggest complaint, would definitely be the climate aboard the ship. It was very rude going from 90 degrees outside to maybe 60 degrees inside. On day 3 we went to guest services and complained, but nothing changed. We complained again on day 5, still no change. Eventually we just gave up and walked around the ship in sweaters.

Our first stop was Grand Turk. We went on the FlowRider, it was a pleasant experience until my toe got snagged in the drain. To this day I'm pretty sure I broke it. We sat on the beach for the remainder of the day, and it was nice, hot, but nice.

Our second stop was La Romana, Dominican Republic. We did not get off the ship because we had heard that the locals were very unpleasant and would constantly beg you for money.

Our third stop was Willemstad, Curacao. We took the excursion Beach fun by Boat & Sunset, which for the most part was well worth the money. It's about a half hour boat ride from the ship to the beach, our tour guide was very snappy though. When we got there, we were supposed to have beach chairs, but they were all full... We spent about 45 minutes trying to find beach chairs. The sunset on Curacao, however, is unbeatable.

Our last stop, was Oranjestad, Aruba. We took the Catamaran Sail & Snorkel excursion. I do not recommend this excursion. The masks were very foggy, making it hard to see, and most of them leaked. We did get to see the Antilla shipwreck, which was quite remarkable.

Overall, the cruise had its highs and lows. One thing is for sure, we will think twice about booking with Carnival again, especially with the issues they have been having with their fleet lately. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Empress 7375

The cabin was in a nice location, perfect distance from the lifts. Our neighbors were a little noisy though. The bathroom was decent and the cabin, spacious. The balcony was adequate, could have been a little bigger. It was a nice room overall.