Disney Dream Cruise Review by luvdsny

Cabin Category: 5E
        10-12 1.0

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Hit and Miss
My family and I sailed on the Disney Dream for a 3 Night sailing in November. It took me a bit to consider this review as I wanted time to reflect and not be too critical on the sailing. Our family loves Disney! After much pleading with my husband who did not want to spend the fee Disney was charging, he gave in. We where also celebrating some special occasions. So on to the review:

We arrived at the port via Disney Cruise Line Express. We spent a few days at Disney World to check out the new Fantasyland. Transport was smooth and easy and the port terminal was bright and cheerful. The Cast Member was excellent checking and and very friendly. We walk through the large Mickey Ears and our family name was announced and staff cheered (nice touch). Walking on to the ship, we have to say it was beautiful! Since we boarded fairly early we decided to hit Cabanas for a light lunch. As we continued to walk you notice the Disney touches very quickly. Another plus is the complimentary soda (on many other cruise lines you pay extra for this). Lunch was buffet style and good selections. We were please all around with Cabanas.

We were then allow to enter our room. Upon first impression we were impressed with the design, large stateroom and storage. I do like how Disney separates the bathrooms. Our verandah (balcony) was over-sized but still a bit small to us. We did also notice a mist of water and assumed this would go away after we sailed away. We had a sofa sleep for our child and thought the position of the sofa was different for other liners we had been on (more on that later). We also smelled a funny smell from the toilet area. We are not big complainers, I assumed this would go away when sailing. Now to the cons of the room: The mist we experienced, did not go away. It was present the entire sailing and we did not take advantage of sitting on our verandah much. Don't know if the Aqua Duck had a role in this. On day two of our sailing the toilet overflowed and a panel outside our door had to be replaced. Once replaced, the smell was gone. I will say Disney fixed very quickly but was suprised this would happen with a ship that was less than a year old.

Entertainment: This is where Disney always shines. Our shows were the Golden Mickey's, Villian's Tonight and Dreams. While I am not a Disney Villian fan, I LOVED all the shows and seating was never an issue.

Rotational Dining: Our rotational dining was as follows: Animator's Palate, Enchanted Garden and Royal Palace. Loved all the themed dining rooms! Food was always good and plentiful. Where the mark was missed here was our dining staff. They were extremely slow, I had a soft drink and it was not refilled until the end of the meal. I even saw a dining member give a salad to a guest only to be told it was the wrong one. Rather than taking it back to the kitchen they handed to another guest(after placing it in front of another guest). This to me is a health risk and not done properly. Again, I did not want to complain in hope service would improve after our first meal - It did not!

Ports: Our first stop was Nassau, since we had visited before we decided to stay on the ship. We had a relaxing day and rode the Aqua Duck many times. A fun experience and a must do! Castaway Cay was also a nice day, warm and sunny but water temps. were still chilly. Lunch was fair as most of the meal was cold. We actually left the beach early to eat onboard.

Seas: We had rough seas leaving port and returning to port. While I know Disney had no control over this, it was not fun to deal with. The positive of it all was it was during the evening hours. Due to the couch bed placement our child woke up ill in the middle of the night. I decided to give the bed a try and felt like I was on a roller coaster. Wondered if the position of the bed made the waves feel worse.

Pirate Night: We enjoyed the pirate show and the fireworks were another Disney magical moment.

Overall we enjoyed our cruise and the Disney touches. We felt due to service that Disney missed the mark a bit. After talking about another cruise we have decided to take a break from cruising. Due to the price point I believe our next cruise (when taken) will be with another cruise provider. I am so sad to say that, as we love Disney! Think we will stick to park visits in the future.

Publication Date: 02/20/13
Read the Bahamas ports review by luvdsny
More Disney Dream Cruise Reviews